Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so last night i put in spec d tuning led tail lights. everything worked perfect, brake lights, running lights, turn signals, flashers etc... they worked fine this morning but during my break at work i went to get something to eat and when i came back out to my car about 25 minutes later the turn signals would not work nor would the hazards. the fuse obviously blew but the problem is that every time i stick a new fuse in as soon as i go to use my blinkers the turn signal fuse blows. i found out that when i un hook the left tail light and use the turn signal with just the right turn signal attached then it works fine and the fuse is good. when i un hook the right tail light and attach the left tail light then the fuse once again blows as soon as i use my blinker. ive done some research and ive seen where people talk about led load equalizers but i dont know if i need to use that or if there is a short in one of the wires in the left led tail light? i hooked the stock left tail light up and everything worked perfect, i even kept the right led tail light attached and they both worked. would anyone be able to please give me any insight on if i need to use a equalizer or if there is a short in one of the left tail light wires? any help would be awesome, thanks :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
warning: all of the information I am giving you is not from personal experience, and came directly off of using google.

It seems as though because led's use a lot less power your car might think the lights are malfunctioning. This can be fixed by installing a resistor..
Or you may have a bad wire somewhere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply man. Yea I've been looking like crazy on google and I know it's one of those two problems. I just wanna be sure it one or the other before I fix it. I guess I was wanti to see if anyone has had any personal experience ha do you know if there is a way I can fix a bad wire in that specific light? Cause I don't really wanna send it back unless I have to. Also do you know if there is a way I can test the wires in the light to be sure? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
18 Posts
we had just bought some with athe LED ring in them also for the taillights we hooked the brake up to the LED's cuz we figured u use the brake lights more.

If you were using the LED as signals and it was blowing the fuse it has nothing to do with the resistors. I would think you have the wires hooked up backwards on the left hand side? *Just a thought*

·
Registered
68 Posts
LED bulbs run hotter than incan. The heat propagates through the wires, eventually damage or melt the wire insulation, causing shorts or opens.

The wires to my tail lights and license lights were all heated up and damaged, causing a short. It kept blowing the 10 A fuse, so I put in a 30A fuse to keep the tail light on long enough to trouble shoot. It was a huge mistake. The high 30A current burned the fuse box and the Body Control Module, the computer that controls all light functions in the car, $1,100 at dealer.

I bought an used BCM on eBay $70, brought the car to an auto electrical shop. He installed the BCM, took out all interior panels, found the tail light wires had burned and broken up, all insulation melted and burned up, just bare wire. He traced the tail light wire from the trunk to the BCM under the dash, replaced that wire. Everything costs #235, works perfect now.

Any light bulbs that stay on long, like tail, license plate, cannot use LED bulbs as they will burn the wires. I replaced all LEDs back to incan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts