Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hey everyone....please listen to this and tell me what you think? before we start, let me say that i know this is incredibly stupid and insane but....yah i have no idea why the hell im doing this! I went to a local junkyard found a turbo LeBaron (LOL!) and managed to get the turbo all the way out; i havent bought it yet...(i hid it under a lot of junk), the askign price is 25 dollars plus maybe a bit more for the intercooler. I was wondering now, if i had Enoch's Mufflers or someone else make a custom turbo manifold; could i attach the turbo to my engine (i have the regular ST engine) without blowing the crap out of my car? If it would help any, i do have exhuast up to the catalytic converter and custom cold air intake.</font>

·
Registered
760 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>DUUUUUUUUUUUDE! if that works, damn im gonna do that, thatll be so much easier than getting a new engine for my car, i have the same engine, the 4A-FE 1.6 liter butthole lol. Gotta gotta gotta find out now, i dunno if ill be able to find the same turbo, but if its possible to slap one on, without blowing my engine to crap, hell yea!</font>

·
Registered
780 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>ok well if it dose work that would be  cool but  from what i hear and whati know you have to control the boost on it cuz the st is not a eng made to run boost + timeing and i think injectors need to be uped + that is alot of stress on a eng so i think its pos but a low amont of boost</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>first turbo i put on the 5sfe was off a laberon....
couple things one if you buy a turbo at a junk yard chances are it will have to be rebuild which is a added cost, better off rebuilding it before even trying to get it on the car. having a exhaust manifold made would cost a fotune. i would suggest trying to find a company that already makes them might save some cash that way. chances are the manifold is going to run somewhere around 3-400. the laberons have the built in wasteagate, which will also control the boost pressure i think its set somewhere around 5-7psi of boost stock. if that is good with you then u can get away with using that for now. you will also need to make new intake piping for it but that really cant be done intill the turbo is set into place. intercooler is a good idea. you will also need a blow off valve put into the intake pipe.
as far as the engine goes.... you have very small injectors these will need to be upgraded and the timing is to advanced this will also have to be fixed. these should be the only electronical issues u run into. the thing is you cant just buy larger injectors and run it on the stock computer and you cant retard the timing map on the stock computer without purchasing other things. you can buy a bunch of electronics to fix these two issues, and spend about 800 bucks or I can sell u a piggy back system that will allow you to tune the stock computer for larger injectors and also retune the stock timing map for about half the price. as far as injectors id go with atleast 330cc or maybe 440cc 440cc should be good enouph for about 200whp which is a huge increase off the stock hp. lol. compression on the engine is high, thats why the intercooler would be needed. you should be able to run without spark knock if u get the intercooler, run higher octane gas and adjust the timing curve down. im not sure what the stock headgasket looks like. I do know the 7afe is using a metal headgasket if you dont have a metal headgasket then i would get a 7afe headgasket and put that on. I cannot tell you what the stock engine can hold as far as hp i dont see a problem with it if you dont over boost. I think it could probrolly take the turbo as long as you get the timing and fuel correct. the biggest problem i think u could have is the pistons but again if tuned right they will probrolly be fine. i think the rods should be able to hold the extra load. are you running a 5 speed tranny or auto? im not sure what the tranny can hold as far as hp. if your running a 5 speed you will atleast need a clutch to hold the extra power. i think thats about the only things. probrolly a lot more then you were expecting tho. lol</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hmmm JHull....thanks for the info! actually im running a 5-speed......my mechanic friend said that unelss i got new pistons and piston rods...the engine would defenitly break down or explod! soo im kinda nervous...i dont really know how to tune the fuel curves and stuff like that tho. I dont think he does either. If it would help any, i also just put on a new MSD ignition Kit.....does that make any difference? uhmmm...we were kinda lookin at the front end of the lebaron and found the oil cooler...but does the car have an intercooler?? I know its a 2.2 liter engine but it had to have been running a intercooler for 5-7 lbs of boost right?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>msd system will help out the spark would deffiently make a difference under boost, im not sure if it really will help add hp to that engine stock.
5-7lbs of boost doesnt nessassarily need a intercooler, but it will deffiently help keep the intake temp down preventing spark knock. best bet to find the intercooler(if it has one) is just follow the air outlet of the turbo if it just goes into the intake then it doesnt have a intercooler. this pipe would go to the intercooler then have a pipe exiting the intercooler to go to the intake so follow this pipe to see if theres a intercooler attached to it.....
your machinic is right about the stock bottom end. it is weaker and more liable to breaking... but they sell turbo kits for this engine that have been ran before. if you make a kit the right way you should be fine. the pistons will melt down if you dont retard the timing curve and add more gas. the piggy back systems i sell will hook up to the computer and use the stock map. from there u can modify it and just add or subtract the timing in degrees through out the map. its not as complicated as it sounds. actually most people can do it on there own. between this and a intercooler the intake temps should stay low enouph to be safe. the larger injectors will also help keep the engine with the fuel it needs, if you run a a little more rich it will keep the intake temp lower. unfurtortiantly there is no way to ensure the condition of the rods, if you were uncomfortable with them you would just have to replace them but i never saw a aftermarket 4afe rod made before... like i said they make turbo kits for this engine using the stock bottom end so i think if you stay boosted at a lower psi the engine should be fine. of course the turbo would take its toll on the engine. if that engine would normally last 300k miles you could break a rod at 250k... chances are the extra load will catch up with that engine in the end, unless something else gets you first. does that make sence to you?? sounds kinda confusing.</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts