Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1997 Toyota Celica GT (2.2L 5S-FE Inline 4, 5 speed manual, convertible) and it seems to be knocking real bad. It had no oil when we got it, the previous owner seemed to be in the middle of an oil change (we did not drive it home we put it on a trailer), so we put oil in it and it's knocking. I don't figure it's supposed to sound like that but really I don't want to do an engine rebuild, anyone familiar with the engine have any suggestions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It might not need an engine but it will definitely need bearings and measure everything to make sure the rods and crankshaft do not need to be machined back to round. There are no bearings for the camshaft so no oil can wipe out the cylinder head. A good machine shop can repair the head by line boring for insert bearings. While parts are cheap for these engines, it's almost a toss up on repair or replace. Repair will take weeks or a month to get parts and everything through a machine shop and assembled. Engine replace could happen over a long weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts