Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>After all the cars I've looked at, I think I've finally decided to go for the 1994 Celica GT.  I just wanted to know some details of the car from actual owners like you guys.  Just little things like how they are on gas, how expensive parts are, maintenence, the ride, the power, or anything else you can tell me.  I really like this car, and the look of the car is mint. And I've seen these cars done up. They look amazing.  So if there is any details you guys can give me, thanks!</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I have a '92 GT and it's my first car(I've had it for a month now). I don't know much about how much parts would cost, but I can say that these cars are great!! My car has 208,000 miles on it and running strong, and I should get at least 300,000 until the engine starts to go...so the engines last long if well taken care of. This car is also REALLY fun to drive and it has great power. My car gets appx. 29mpg in highway driving and about 22mpg for city driving....so pretty good gas mileage. The engine is also really quiet and runs really well. So far I haven't lost any power or speed on the big hills(we live in CA). Even in fourth gear going up hill (it's a manual) it has great speed and is quick to excelerate. You have to watch the speed closely sometimes or else you'll be doing 75 or 80 before you know it, and out here you can get a speeding ticket doing that on our dangerous highways. I wouldn't ever own a different car than I have now..I love Celicas and they are a really good reliable, fun car to own!! I'd say find the right one with decent mileage and in really good condition and get it...I personally would pay at least 8,000 for a Celica in good condition and with low miles.
</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply.  It's helping me decide.  I think I will go for it. But I'm still open to details and advice from all you Celica lovers!  :grin:</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>like most toyota's they are pretty much mechanicaly bullet proof. the 5sfe engine which is in them is a pretty nice engine. good for cruising along, lasts yonks and is reasnably cheap on the fuel for its size. i run about 7L/100km on the highway and about 10 around town up to 16 if i thrash it.

as far as a daily driver they are fantastic, pleasent to drive around not the fastest things by a long way but they have sufficent squirt to get along/. best thing is they have heaps of bottom end torque for an engine of its size which means you can pull along quite ahppily without having to pop it down a cog.
parts are generally cheap, just be aware there isnt *much* aftermarket performance type bits and pieces. dont know if that is of interest to you but its something to be aware of.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>oh and remember to check all the normal things you would when buying a used car.

check for signs of poor maintinence / abuse

crap built up around/under oil filelr cap
strange noises in the head
any junk in the coolant = very bad
check the cv's

check for accident damage
jem the brakes on and see if you can hear any creaking sounds ususally means the frame has been straightened at some point after an accident.
check for proper service intervals  ie log books,
feel the front spoiler, lots of scratches can often indicate that the owner didnt give a #### about the car and bashed it into driveways etc - usually means they didnt give too  much care to other stuff either.</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info toof.  I havn't thought about the build up around the oil cap, or even the junk around the coolant.  You're right about it.

I wanted to at least lower it and put a skirt on it.  Then buy new rims from whoever. Lets just hope that these things are available!  Thanks again Toof.</font>

·
Registered
212 Posts
<font color='#000000'>when your buying rims for it make sure the lug pattern is right because i have a set of five lug wheelz that i used for a mazda mx-6 and also on a mitsu eclipse. those 2 cars and my celi are all 5 lug hubs but the celi has a smaller pattern. so watch out for that. and by the way, 94, the best year ever made........that wasnt a bias remarke was it
</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts