Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a really hard time finding what is causing my '91 5S FE to stall out. After replacing many sensors, switches, cleaning and testing
everything in the engine bay there are not many things left. Needless to say I poured lots of $ into this project car. It's been stored for over 5 years by the previous owner. When I purchased it, it ran, barely/. It would run for 20 minutes and then stall, after a few days it started stalling after 5 minutes or less. Just about the only section I haven't touch is the ignition. Research points to bad contact in the switch so here is the next project.
I started by taking the bottom section of the drive side dash off to access the key area. A convertible makes it easier to lay on my back and look up. Had to remove the seat. Got the key module out and took it apart....ooops. Springs and tiny ball bearings took a flyer never to be found again. Makes no difference though, the contacts were so loaded up with dry dirty dielectric grease I'm surprised it even started at all. The dirty contacts lead to both the start circuit but also the ecu which would control fuel, spark, air and just about everything else that runs the engine. The worst dirt was on the ecu parts.
Ordered a new set. Hope this solves the stall problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put the new switch in, Found out there were more lights showing on the dash than I knew existed. Batt, seat belt, ck engine, etc. Never showed before. The switch replacement was easy peasy, Putting the knee panels and everything else in place was PIA.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts