Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys, I've over come the tacho problem. And it turn out that my car don't even have a air intake sensor so I don't have to worry about. But I come across another question, my friend just bought a little control box that claim to be able to control air flow and thus gain more hp, and it said the wire has to be connected to the IAT sensor of the car, which is located either on the intake manifold or intake tube, but when my friend ask me to help him out I notice that I don'rt even know what the IAT is. Can anyone tell me where and what a IAT is? by the way, my friend got a 6th gen celica. :suspect:</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>IAT sensor is the intake air temp sensor, it is in the intake tube. the thing ur friend bought doesnt allow more or less air. it is simply a resistor that goes into the sensor wire that makes the computer think that the air temp is colder then it is. which will advance the timing a couple degrees, thing is it isnt soppost to advance when the intake temp gets hot, its soppost to retard timing so you dont spark knock. if your intake gets hot and the computer thinks its only 40 degrees and advances ur timing 4 degrees, you might get a nice little 5hp gain but its also very possible youll be knocking down the road. only thing u can do to make sure you stay safe with this is consistantly run high octane gas</font>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>yeah it would be great to have an idea of how the IAt looks like. And by the way, does high octane gas mean the most expensive gas I get from the station? and do you know if it is safe to do this mod??</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>the iat sensor is a two wire sensor, its the only sensor in the intake, it has two wires that come out, pretty much just sticks in the intake tube. It is the only thing in the intake tube that has wires to it. It shouldnt be hard to find.
higher octane gas is the more expensive gas, yes.
is it safe?? I guess that all depends on how much it fools the computer, meaning the difference in temperature. and how much of a tolerance the engine has to advanced ignition. as the intake temp increases it has to retard the timing. to prevent spark knock, if the temp gets really hot and you dont retard the timing it could create spark knock. this sensor was put in there for a reason. and If you modify the ignition curve you must look into higher octane gas. this is the reason they sell race gas. not because it gives you more hp but because its a higher octane so it will help prevent spark knock with more advanced timing. the gas doesnt give you more power the timing does, the gas just allows you to safely run that timing. your cars stock ignition was set where it is to allow the consumer to purchase the lowest octane gas and still drive saftly, you could probrolly run that car on 85 octane and be alright, so 87 octane (normal gas) might be exeptable with this mod, but I would get 90-93 octane just to be on the safe side</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts