Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I have owned several honda crx's..I have done engine swaps into a few of them. I found a 91 celica the other day that I just fell in love with..It has the 2.2 5sfe engine in it.  My question is...can I do head work the this engine, to allow it to rev up more? I have to buy another engine for it anyways(hole in the block). I can't afford a complete swap...But, when I call these jdm sites about another 2.2 for my car, they keep wanting to sell me a 2.0. they say it replaces the 2.2...Is it worth getting the 2.0?  Sorry if I sound dumb, But I am used to Honda's...Toyota's are new to me.</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Welcome to the site, sorry but I know nothing about engine swaps, Redswan may be able to help you  :thumbsup:</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>it depends on what you want to do with your car. from being  a honda and specifially a crx driver im gessing you love you rev the buggery out of your engine.

the 2.2L 5sfe is a more sedate engine perfect if you want your car to be a cruiser (100kw)

2.0L 3sge is a perkier engine w/ much more agressive cams better if you want to give it a bit of curry (103kw  iirc)

2.0L 3sgte is the turbo engine from the gt4 similar to the 3sge but w/ turbo this is the engine to get if you have the $$$ and are prepared to shred up some front tyres. (150kw-185kw depending on year and spec)</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>Is there anything special I have to do to drop in the 2.0L 3sge?  The car is mainly for my wife, but I will drive it alot. So I want some power there. I can't expect much...it's an automatic.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>ok i am offended.....
CELICA CHICK you forget about me????
lol i see how it is.
to answer your question what they are suggesting as far as a replacement 2.0 goes the 3sfe. that is pretty much the same engine you have but in a 2.0 it has the same head ect.... because its a jspec its pulling out more hp then the us spec making it have just about the same hp as the 5sfe.
3sge was made in the 4th gen celica. started in the 87 celica gts, 130hp but they wouldnt recommend that as a easy swap cause the wiring is totally different and it wasnt produced in the 5th gen. they stopped making it after releasing the 3sgte and then started reporducing it later in the mr2's but again the wiring is gonna be totally different different ignitors, then u would need mass air meters. ect....
they have to be talking about the 3sfe.
the 3sge again is made in the 4th gen gts, chances of you finding a low milage one is very slim, unless you get one out of a later mr2 but the price is gonna be as much as a 3sgte. and the bolting in is easy but the wiring isnt. so i wouldnt reccomend it well mostly cause your wife will never appreciate it. and of course you have a auto...
</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>*slowly sneaking out of the room*

I'm sorry, I was rushing cause I was at work...  I know you know your stuff, I ask you alot of questions

I will definitely be sure to throw your name around next time.</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts