Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tach just stopped working according to my daughter so I found one online and plan on installing it. I watched a video on Youtube and the owner installed the used tachometer and the needle barely moved when he rev'd the engine way up! I thought it was just plug and play but I am guessing that is a wrong assumption. So I figured there must be a calibration procedure for the tachometer once another one is installed. This site has helped me a lot so I figured I would ask for help again. Thanks in advance of any replies.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nope. There are capacitors on the backside of the dashboard that are spec'd wrong and known to fail (same type of problem with this generation of ECU's).

I believe (gray hair memory) there is a geat write up on the mr2 boards.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. There are capacitors on the backside of the dashboard that are spec'd wrong and known to fail (same type of problem with this generation of ECU's).

I believe (gray hair memory) there is a geat write up on the mr2 boards.

Is that in this forum? Could you post the link?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here's a good youtube:

And here's the writeup from lexus world on why the problem exists and the type of capacitors to use. This discussion is focused on ecu's but is applicable to where ever a capacitor was used ( dash meters, edqu, abs control module, radios etc). Specifically, you are looking for low esr type capacitors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a good youtube:

And here's the writeup from lexus world on why the problem exists and the type of capacitors to use. This discussion is focused on ecu's but is applicable to where ever a capacitor was used ( dash meters, edqu, abs control module, radios etc). Specifically, you are looking for low esr type capacitors.

WOW that is awesome thanks for posting! I recently bought a used OEM tachometer and plan on taking the dash apart and installed the one I just got and see if it works. If it does then I am going to repair my old on and sell it to help someone else out with this issue. Having a tachometer that does not work is a pet peeve of mine..... just like oil stains in a driveway! Thanks again for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts