Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all. Been a member here for a while,but I've never posted anything.

Anyways,I'm up in the Toronto area (about an hour north),and it's quite snowy up here. I'm currently driving an '87 Celica GTS coupe,which I picked up in late November '02. Ok,yes,I love the car,it's amazing,a welcome upgrade from my '79 Mini.

I'd like to know how your Celicas fare in the snow. I find mine to be horrible in the snow,but that may be due to the fact I'm running Dunlop D60 A2 sport tires.

I find it understeers like a bitch in the snow,I have no grip whatsoevet,I get stuck everywhere and it's one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven in the snow. But hey,it's fun,when you like playing rally driver  :devil:  :thumbsup:

Due to my driving habits,and the road conditions,it's a wonder I haven't yet wrecked my car.

Anyways,if you want to see it,it's in 4th gen under Mike Janik.</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>This is my car in the snow..

I'm sure it has alot to do with the fatty Z rated tires, but it's all over the place..</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I have an 86 GT and I have never had any problems in the snow other than plowing it with my front spoiler when it is deep.  I laugh at all of the SUV's that have found the ditch as I drive down the highway without a single problem.

I think driving in the snow has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  If you know the limits of your car and driving skills you will be fine. The minute you become over-confident you will find yourself in the ditch (or worse).

JMO</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Originally posted by asmith5@Jan. 13 2003,6:21
<font color='#000000'>I have an 86 GT and I have never had any problems in the snow other than plowing it with my front spoiler when it is deep.  I laugh at all of the SUV's that have found the ditch as I drive down the highway without a single problem.

I think driving in the snow has more to do with the driver than it does the car.  If you know the limits of your car and driving skills you will be fine. The minute you become over-confident you will find yourself in the ditch (or worse).

JMO</font>
<font color='#000000'>See, I disagree as I drive my 91 camry and have no problems... Tires make a huge difference in snow.. My eclipse was good, until I put Z rated wide tires on... so there is a big difference and I've commuted to work since I as 18, now 23... living in Jersey I've driven in everything, even floods.. I agree that some people it may be that, but on light little cars, tires are a big difference..  and I drive about 35-40,000 miles a year...</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Perhaps I worded that wrong.  I agree that tires make a huge difference.  I have really crappy tires on my car.  I compensate by driving extra carefully in the snow.  Everyone should drive within the capabilities of their skills and the ability of their car. If you are spinning and sliding all around, you are not within the capability of your car.  Many things factor into this.  I am perfectly happy travelling at 20 MPH down the highway when it is covered with snow.  Others may fly by me, but at least I know I am driving safely without endangering myself or others.  I also own a Saturn.  It has traction control and better tires on it.  I can drive much faster in it without any concerns.  Like I said before, the minute you get over-confident or cocky you will find yourself in the ditch.  If you know what you are doing and know what your car is capable of, you won't have any problems.</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I guess if you are talking going like 20mph my car would be fine, but commuting over an hour to work, it would take 3, lol..... I could go real slow in the celica, or normal in my camry... I'll take the camry....</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>cant really comment on the snow casue i havent really driven in snow, dont exactly get it here.

worse ive driven in was about 4 inches of hail. was parked undercover whilst at uni and then drove home to get into the garage during a break in the storm. went ok, just had to take it real easy,

ive driven the old honda civic in snow, not heavy just a bit and it went *ok*.

what i can say is that i don like driving in the wet. perhaps its just my driving style, i guess im just too heavy footed and spin it up too much when starting off. braking is fine not real probs there, no real probs handling, just need to know the limits. i just always find im too heavy footed starting, and its a nightmare doing handbrake/hill starts in the went im spinning horribly.  it begs for better rubber, well at least bigger rubber. the 185 seems insufficent.</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>That's kinda my problem, if I got do 20 to drive the car, I'd rather not.. I feel like I should be running or something, lol.... The beater is great to drive, cause even if someone hits me, I could care less about the car... and I live in the boonies, literally.. No lights, no sidewalks and everything is like 50 mph.  Sideroads 25, but no one does that.</font>

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>QUOTE
I feel like I should be running or something,[/B]
If you do that, you'll piss off the hondas.. LOL

Ok it might snow here friday, so I'm guessing I can't do my usual 90 in a 55? Theres NO WAY I'm doing 20mph...I can't even drive the speedlimit!</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Originally posted by TicketBoy@Jan. 14 2003,11:10
<font color='#000000'>QUOTE
I feel like I should be running or something,
If you do that, you'll piss off the hondas.. LOL

Ok it might snow here friday, so I'm guessing I can't do my usual 90 in a 55? Theres NO WAY I'm doing 20mph...I can't even drive the speedlimit!</font>[/B][/QUOTE]
<font color='#000000'>That's exactly how I feel, I don't think I've ever done 20 mph ???  

You are right, we don't want to upset the honda peeps :kungfu:</font>

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>Ok forget my last post, it didn't snow here tonight.  :down:

But it freakin cold! Theres like dead penguins outside my house..."DoooobeeeDoobeeDoooooo" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! (Did anyone get that besides me?  )  ???</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font color='#000000'>*sigh* I just had to post this topic. Wrecked my car on Tuesday,damn it. :ghost:

Snow covered road,infront of my high school,may I add,and I'm doing about 20-25kmh down the road,and as I approach the "chicane" turn which brings you to the front of the school,there's a car stopped in the middle of my lane,against the curb. Brake lights on,turn signal on,just talking to someone. So I go around the car,and as I'm steering back to get into my lane,my car just plows straight,and like I said,only doing about 20kmh,and there's a Hyundai coming in the opposite direction,so I'm trying to keep the car in my lane and turn,but no,keeps going straight,and the guy coming towards me had nowhere to go,there was nothing I could do,and I ended up sliding into him. The driver side corner or our bumpers ended up meeting,and has landed me with a $1200 repair bill. I smashed in my headlight and turn signal,bent up my quarter panel,cracked my bumper and smashed his Elantra pretty good. My car is still driveable and mechanically 100% efficient,just needs body work. So I bought a donor Celica,an '86 GTS and for 5 hours I was out in the scrapyard today ripping it apart. Lots of fun.

So,I am Celica-less right now,and must resort to driving my mom's Mercury Villager. Man,I hate that thing. But,gotta driveit while my baby gets repaired.

If you want to see pictures of the cars (mine and the one I wrecked) just email me at [email protected],or IM me on AIM,I'm Celicaguy87.

Poor car. Damn snow man,I hate it. :kungfu:</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font color='#000000'>Well,here are some pictures of my poor baby,and the car I hit. :sleepy:

:down:</font>

·
Registered
69 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I drive an 87 GT and handles average in the snow. The tires on it are average but I agree that newer tires and/or snow tires would make a large difference. I live in the niagara region of ontario so we get our fair share of snow. As for the driver's skills and knowledge of the car itself and it's limits, it's very true. Can't avoid spinning the tires off of a green light in the snow but as long as you can keep a hold of her, your just fine. And rally driving is just capitol in this car!</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Adasm@Jan. 25 2003,7:14
<font color='#000000'>I drive an 87 GT and handles average in the snow. The tires on it are average but I agree that newer tires and/or snow tires would make a large difference. I live in the niagara region of ontario so we get our fair share of snow. As for the driver's skills and knowledge of the car itself and it's limits, it's very true. Can't avoid spinning the tires off of a green light in the snow but as long as you can keep a hold of her, your just fine. And rally driving is just capitol in this car!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Ah,interesting. You're about 3 hours south of me. As you can see in the picture of the Elantra,the Police car says "Shelburne Police",so I'm up there,about 45 mins south of Barrie,half an hour or so from Collingwood.

Since I'm just running Dunlop sport tires,I get stuck everywhere. I spin my wheels everywhere,get stuck in mundane places that any other car could traverse with ease and generally look like a fool driving it.

I should have the Celica back from the shop within the next 4 days. Yay. I'm getting some new tires in the spring though,have to start saving again,since all my funding is now going towards this damn accident repair,and now next year my insurance is going to go up. CRAP!
o:</font>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts