Toyota Celica Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>You are an amazing fountain of information J... incredible!

Nitrous is cheap?!?!?! I got this idea that it was tough on the wallet... where did you see cheap systems?  Keep in mind that I'm not a mechanical whiz like you, I have to get it installed or it has to be REALLY easy so that I can do it myself.  You can come over and help me put it in.  :upside:

I would love to be able to save up but I can't, I get stuff done when I have the money for it...
 I do have a vison, a HOT car!  I know what I want but I'm still not quite sure about how I want it exactly, you know?  Or whether I'll ever have enough money to do it.

Apex-i safc? Is that a performance chip too?  Do you have a site for them?  Do you adjust that one yourself?  Whats the diff between it and the jet chip?

Hmmm, Blitz... Do you think it's better than the EIP one you were talking about earlier?  Cuz if you read the posts CC was saying that it wasn't such a good idea with the computer problems and such... what do you think?  But they are expensive, I don't know if I'll ever save up enough for one.

Thanks a lot for letting me bother you with all of my questions, I know I can be annoying sometimes...  :down:
</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I meant engine problems, I read on the computer plus alot of people here have Nitrous set ups and turbos.  I'm going to try to make the meet on 6/28 and take some pics, they are all 7th generation celicas, all of them are pretty hooked up too...  

I brought my car to a guy with a 7th gen with a 50 wet shot on his system and he is a mechanic...  he said I can drive it but no pushing buttons  :down:

I have to go to this meet cause another guy I know got a 94 Twin turbo supra, silver, black leather interior running 18psi and he said I can drive it  :thumbsup:</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I'm not the best to answer your nitrous questions but I bet ticketboy has 2 cents to throw in on that one.  I think you can get a decent nitrous set up for $600-$700 and probably install it yourself with a friend.  Which beats the $4000 you're gonna pay to get turbo'ed.

I tried doing my old celica a part at a time and I ended up wasting money buying stuff and then replacing it over and over again.  Remember if you buy the best stuff you can always sell it for 70%
of what you paid if you decide to get rid of it.  The other crap you'll just waste money.  Used TRD exhausts go for 80% of the new price generally (I know I've been looking for one
)

The Apex-i S-afc is a piggy back system that hooks up to your computer in your car.  It can be adjusted by just about anyone so it makes tuning your air/fuel stuff really quick and you don't need to send in your computer whenever you add something.  Again you can get a used one for about 70% cost of a new one.  Their website is www.apex-iusa.com

The s-afc part is
http://www.APEXi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp if you want to read about it.

The Blitz system is pretty much all there, all you have to do is install it and your done.  EIP turbo you'll have to maintain, and adjust it a bunch, but you'll have the potential for more power.  Personally I think the Blitz with 200+hp to the wheels and the celica only weighing 2500 lbs is way more than enough for anyone wanting to drive daily.

Your decision though!  :cool:</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Originally posted by Meryem13@June 20 2003,2:47
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the warnings CC, those pics'll be really hot, interesting to see too.
I wish I was in your shoes and able to drive those awesome cars, too bad about no button pushing though  
 awww.</font>
<font color='#000000'>You are in NY aren't  you??? why don't you come to the meet on the 28th and check some of these cars out  ???

Mr. J - yes, that's about right and even if you have it installed, you aren't going to be paying more then $1500 (max) so it's a much cheaper way to add 50-75 horse.  50 horse is much easier on the pistons from what I've been told
one guy had 50, then 75, then 125 and goodbye celica engine   :down:</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>CC: I'm not in NY right now, I'm in Turkey, otherwise I would try to find a way to get over there. :down:  But then again, my family is really strict and they never let me go anywhere more than a 2-3 hour drive alone.  It sucks... I'm 23 for goodness sake!

Awwww, poor celi engine :down:

MrJ: Okay so your saying a nitrous system will be cheaper and less costly to maintain, plus be better for the car... I'm going to assume that nos will also give me more of a boost than the turbo, right?  But there's always the chance of getting caught with it running...

I understand what you mean about wasting money replacing stuff, that's why I'm trying to get it all done as soon as possible but I havn't the patience to wait to do it all at once.  I am def trying to get better brands for parts though in case I have to sell.  My intake is Injen and my exhaust is Vibrant Type V... Even with my speakers and stuff, I tried to go with the higher grade stuff... just in case.
I looked at the Apex system... it IS the same as a performance chip right? Remember I can be dense about this stuff.  :upside: How am I going to know how it should be set?
Also, thanks for the info on the Turbos!  

Sorry if I'm being a pain about this stuff... I'm still learning, thank you!  
 (hug)</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>No problem Meryem, I'd rather you pester this crap outta me than hurt your car  :oops:

The Apex-i s-afc does the same thing as performance chip, all you need to do is solder some wires onto your cars exsisting computer.  The main difference is it's adjustable rather then permanent.  I've never used the jet chip deal so I can't tell you how effective it will be.  I do know the apex-i s-afc is very reliable.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>QUOTE
I'd rather you pester this crap outta me[/B]
I knew I was botherign you :down:
than hurt your car[/B]
AWWWW, thank you! (hug)

Well my dad does have a soldering iron in the garage somewhere so that's not a problem.. I'm just worried that I won't know how to adjust it properly.  Do you know about how much hp gain I'll get?  Wow... I checked the list price, it's about $400...  The more expensive version of the jet chip is just over $300.  I just want to know how much it will help, do you any one with one on their celi and that knows how much better it was afterwards?</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I've done some more research...
I don't know if you want to have any work done on your cars computer after-all.  Your ECU will most likely re-adjust itself back to factory settings with the s-afc.  Read here if you want more info.  I wonder if jetchip can really pull that much power because I don't know if they remap your ECU or if they just add a transistor that fools your car.

Be careful and remember to research everything thoroghly before doing any mods.</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>For the most part I don't think aftermarket parts are tested as thoroghly as they should be.  That's why there is so much debate on a lot of things.  I haven't done any mods to my new celica, one because I don't have the money to dump into performance, and two I read everything i can find before deciding.

Just out of curiosity what are you planning on using your car for, assuming your sister didn't ruin it?</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>LOL yeah, no money would be a big reason as to not getting any mods done.

I tlaked to my sister again last night, she was all like calm down, nothings wrong with the car, it'll be fine etc... but hey you know what it's like to not see your car and not know what's going on with it... it's my baby.  I'm worried that she screwed up my $300 intake...  Hopefully it's just the oil, but the wouldn't the oil light go off?  Anyways...
My celi is my everyday car when I'm there, but I want to have it hooked up cuz I know at some point I'll have to get a suv or something more practical, and I would like a nice car that I can look at and drive once in a while and not have any regrets later in life about not doing it when I was young and had the chance to have fun.  I like to race people, and I would like to compete too, if I could find where the damn racers are in my area!  I would potentially like to get it modded up enough to get sponsored, but I don't know if I'll ever get it that high before my life takes over.</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hmm.. I'd do nitrous then if you just want to race once and a while.  You have enough horsepower to take out 75% cars out on the road as it is.  The NOS would be enough to cover another 15%</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Hmmm, I like that idea!!! 90% of the cars out there are MINE!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
 okay, enough being evil... Thanks for the feedback... but I guess I won't really know anything until I get to see my baby and make sure she's okay
</font>

T

·
0 Posts
For all you Turbo wanters out there I just got done putting a T/3 on a 2002 celica GT and it runs like no other if any one has and questions or pics e-mail me at [email protected] I have pics of the turbo mani and intercooler pipeing and I can even make parts if you need.... but now what I need help on is if anyone knows where I can get some Rods and pistons ??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for throwing you off topic..... buutttt, I need to know if you know of any places that might have custom drivetrain parts, or if you have any idea on how to make a custom ram air intake kit, or anywhere that sells them. I've been looking for a while, with little success, please look into this for me Mr. J.
Thanks
-RJ

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Welcome

Mr. J hasn't been on this site in a loooooooooooong time... he bought a honda and left us for the dark side, and then came back a while ago with another celica but it's still been forever since we've seen him.

custom ram? what's wrong with the ones out there? And which drivetrain parts are you looking into?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damn, did not know we had a traitor on our hands. Oh well, good riddence to em'. But other than that, I wanted an actual "true" ram air, one that works with the hood scoop. And the drive train parts I'm looking into are things like, cams, rocker arms, springs, valve, stuff like that.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Well, he got rid of the Honda from what I heard and is back to celicas, but he still hasn't been on in forever.

As far as I know there are no true ram air intakes out there for the celi... there's not really enough space under the hood anyways. You're better off with a good cold air intake.

Do you have a GT or GT-S? Auto or manual?

41 - 60 of 126 Posts