Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 10 cars on my short list to replace my 10 year old Mazda MX3.

Hadn't originally thought about Celicas but was persuaded to drive one (GT) and I was pleasantly surprised even though I really wasn't thinking about going back to 4 cylinders. The dealer wanted me to try a GTS as well but their computer system went down and they couldn't look up the key for the red one they had on the lot and it was getting dark.

Anyway I think I could live with a GT nicely although I'm a little put off by 15" wheels rather than 16 or 17 found on comparable cars, and the drum brakes in back.

The dealer says it will be willing to talk price on the GTS so it's close to the GT, which is kinda suprising, maybe the dealer can't move GTSs (Bowie, MD). Obviously I can't make a decision without having to try a GTS, but have a few questions about the GTS that might make it or break it.

- is the HP different noticeable driving around town or can you only find it when in the stratosphere of RPM ranges?

- Are insurance rates significantly higher on GTSs over GTs?

- Do GTSs require premium fuel?

That's probably a good start for now, if more questions come up I'm sure I'll be back.

Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by Claff@Apr 29 2002, 02:06 PM
- is the HP different noticeable driving around town or can you only find it when in the stratosphere of RPM ranges?

- Are insurance rates significantly higher on GTSs over GTs?

- Do GTSs require premium fuel?
- the additional 40hp comes from the variable valve timing and lift. lower end power won't be noticeable, but you'll feel it in the higher ups.

- that's a question you'll need to bring up with your insurance company, each company has different policies

- nope, 87 octane tastes just as good

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
LMAO owned!

Liar... he said he'd be back...

Oh and btw, GT-S require premium fuel, regular can lead to pinging and other stuff.... I'm assuming since he's talking about dealers he means 7th gens... Dude def get the GT-S UNLESS you have money for Turbo or s/c and don't care about the extra visual stuff like wheels... you can always buy new rims unless you're planning on keeping the car stock.

ALSO, thread moved to 7th generation forum

·
Registered
263 Posts
haha so it is 2 years old.. i was going to tell him to get the gts to ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you plannin to race?? If so..TURBO OR ALL MOTOR? if u want TURBO..get a GT...if you want ALL-MOTOR..get a GT-S.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
?!
Momo didn't notice either????

I always check the date. Espically since these forums aren't as used as everythingcelica.com and newcelica.org

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Well it was his first and only post so far... Welcome to the site Momo!

Do you post on those sites as well Chrono? I have sn's there but I'm not as frequent on them... same name as here...

Oh and you can still turbo a GTS if you want the extras... you just have to drop the compression a bit.... But if you're planning on modding the performance hell out of the car and gutting it and putting in racing seats etc... then yeah a GT is a better option... they both end up having the same hp after turbo... *sigh*

·
Registered
263 Posts
oh and yes welcome MOMO!
haha my whole entire interior of my car is MOMO lol

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Meryem: I have a sn on everythingcelica.com and I check out newcelica.org every now and then, but I don't post mainly because the people their are less friendly and they're immature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got a GTS, and my insurance rate went up about 40%. I had a Saturn SC2; insurance for Saturns is relly low because of all the plastic, and tendency to shrug off damage from being hit.

GTS does take premium fuel, I wouldn't recommend getting anything less. But I'm way happy I got a GTS.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't consider saturns as sporty and dangerous as a GTS... which would effect insurance rates, as well as some other factors. But thats' my poor opinion.

What is it about the GTS that makes you happy? In a way I wish I got a 5 spd GT because of the fact it's probably easier to mod it out and throw turbo on it. Or at least cheaper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not planning to do much modifying, and I like the GTS' lift. 6th gear on the GTS, it seems to me, is pretty much there to give you better fuel mileage, something I prefer.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
folks i hate to be the one to break it to ya, but a celica gt, is essentially a 2 door corolla thats sits lower and has an uncomfortable cockpit, go gt-s, go 6-speed, if youre getting a 7th gen.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts