Toyota Celica Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just got my Celica a couple months ago and I just read in this post that the gts uses premium gas... I've been pumping 87 or whatever button has the 7. Did I screw up big time? Is premium the button on the far right? I think it goes 87-89-91. Is it too late to switch. Idk if previous owner uses premium too so it might be more than a couple of months. Maybe years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meryem.....aka ole timer

Wow, man thanks so much for the info,

now.....

what specifically in the VVT-i engine causes these babies to start burning oil? In my case
about a quart every 500 miles.

My lil babie is in Kentucky, where they don't smog. I'm looking at brining it to California where
I live and it's gotta pass smog here....

Tks bro

Ronn Darwin

·
Registered
65 Posts
May or may not pass Ca smog.
The car would have to have all original smog equipment
in place and working. No CEL on or throwing any codes
and pass the tail pipe test... If it's burning too much oil that is
where they will get you is on the tailpipe

·
Registered
120 Posts
CA has not done tail pipe test for at least 6 years IIRC.

Add an extension to O2S2 and the CAT's P0420 will go away. Old Celica should pass CA smog test. Just dont mention it to the Smog test guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my celica gt about 3 months ago and so far im loving the car but i have been thinking of doing a gts swap on it, being that this is my first actual "sports car" I'm still working on learning a lot about performance parts and what can help with gaining hp. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated greatly.
I know this response is 8 years late
This is the age-old, million dollar question. There are definitely things you can do to your 1zz to squeeze more HP out of it in case you don't want the hassle of swapping it for a 2zz (GTS) motor.
If you have a GT (1zz motor) and you just want a bit more power, keep reading and studying up on these forums. Yes it may take more mods (and more $$), but a 1zz is capable of 300+ hp. But you'll almost certainly want to boost it to get there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just got my Celica a couple months ago and I just read in this post that the gts uses premium gas... I've been pumping 87 or whatever button has the 7. Did I screw up big time? Is premium the button on the far right? I think it goes 87-89-91. Is it too late to switch. Idk if previous owner uses premium too so it might be more than a couple of months. Maybe years.
The 2ZZ engine is a high-compression engine. It's designed to run on high octane, 91+.

if you use 87 octane, that fuel will combust before pistons reach top dead, causing pre-detonation and knocking. But the engine has a knock sensor that detects knocking and retards timing. It works but engine won't run smoothly.

All that knocking and timing retardation probably cause incomplete burn with 87 Octane, lowering gas mileage. I used 87 Octane for a couple years when gas prices went too high. It did not damage the engine. It' best to use the right grade of fuel and oil to keep engine run smoothly and efficiently.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts