Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Celica GT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2005 GT with around ~190k miles. I really like the car and would like to do a lot of work to it, how ever, since the engine has so many miles I’d like to do an engine swap first. I’d like to know if anyone had put a 2zz in an automatic GT. I’m fairly new to all this so I’m not sure what I’m necessarily looking for. I read a thread somewhere that said I’d have to convert my car to a manual, which is fine, but I’m still questioning whether the money and time will be worth it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, from everything I've read on these forums and seen/heard on YouTube, switching to a 2zz is a change that every GT owner should consider. Of course, you'll need a complete wiring harness, changes to cluster, ECU, and there will be some modifications to go from auto to manual, but it's definitely doable, and actually recommended by many of the enthusiasts on here.

I currently have a 2002 GT, but it only has 120k miles, and seems to run great other than the fact that it's weak in the HP department. I think the key takeaway here is that you do have options, and yes, swapping to the 2zz is more than doable. It's fairly widely practiced. But there are things you can do to get more hp out of your 1zz. Definitely consider turbo kit, or at least a Rotrex supercharger. I do think that boosting is the way to go, but you'll have to upgrade a lot of your engine internals to handle the increased power and torque.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts