Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1990 st184r celica and the 5th gear pops out, a few people have told me it’s just the synchros and I need to get a rebuild kit, would anyone know what gearbox it has? The internet says it’s a c52 but I just want to double check before purchasing.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
I recently bought a 1990 st184r celica and the 5th gear pops out, a few people have told me it’s just the synchros and I need to get a rebuild kit, would anyone know what gearbox it has? The internet says it’s a c52 but I just want to double check before purchasing.
Search your vin and you should find the tranny unless a previous owner changed it out.
Google or Bing should bring it right up.
Meanwhile I'll check my books and see what I find........
Ok, book says you have either a c52 or s53. Both are 5 speed. On "trouble shooting" it says if it skips out of gear disassemble and check ..... seriously :D I can send breakdown pics if needed.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Search your vin and you should find the tranny unless a previous owner changed it out.
Google or Bing should bring it right up.
Meanwhile I'll check my books and see what I find........
Ok, book says you have either a c52 or s53. Both are 5 speed. On "trouble shooting" it says if it skips out of gear disassemble and check ..... seriously :D I can send breakdown pics if needed.
Good luck.
Check this out also...
In depth analysis on C and S series transmissions (mr2.com)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, climb underneath and look. These cars are so old that po's have likely swapped trannys.

I'm on my 3rd one for my 91 GT that I purchased new. The granny is from a 93 GT whIch has stronger synchro.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts