Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I bought my Celica based on trust in a friend and the car seems pretty good but I don't much about how it works so far. My first problem occurred last night, the front windshield wipers were not running. We drove over with the front ones and the back ones on, an the heater for the back windshield on. Got ready to leave about 7 hours later and the raind was bad and it was dark, it was not easy driving the crowded wet highways, etc.

So far, I have read that it could be the motor for the windshield, but I don't know if I am competent to check it, I do have some kind of multimeter, not sure how to use it, it belonged to my brother.

Is there a fuse or relay I can check first?

Oh, BTW, the horn has not worked since I've had the car. About a month.

But the wipers is pretty critical.

Thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks my brother had left me a really good one and I looked online on how to use it. After talking to sort of a shade tree mechanic, I got a new wiper motor from OReillys and took it to a more competent small shop mechanic I know. The old one did get hot and he said for sure that it was bad. He took off the wiper blades and the long plastic thing along the edge of them, but I didn't see any of the arms that you see on my old Ford truck. He installed it and it did odd things like try to go down into the engine direction pretty far, then he did something else and it went kind of all over the place, then he said it was probably the part so I got another one. If there, the battery in the car is only putting out 11 volts if my multimeter is right. But the car cranks instantly and the back wiper works well. I had never used the back one or the back glass heater till about 3 days before the front motor went out. I've only had the car a minute. But, assuming that there is some other problem, would it be possible to clip in a wire for the fuse for the wiper motor and put a switch in? My old truck has basically one speed which is kind of annoying but it's better than not having wipers. Waiting on the mechanic to get back to me he said I would get a call, but when I drove up yesterday he was not busy and now he is. He is usually very good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a bad part. But you can get on Amazon the wiper transmission for 1995 to 99 for about 100.00 but installing it will be hell, I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He fixed it the second time and the check engine light is gone too, so maybe what he did wrong the first time was not disconnect the battery first, I read you need to really do that when doing any electrical on this generation. Cost me 120 in labor and about 90 for the part after the core return. I've always heard that disconnecting the battery resets smart boxes etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, going to try to get on those tail lights tomorrow some. I figure put silicone on the cracks, maybe inside and out, then I got a tester to see if the socket is working, and I found the one and only universal socket I could find in town, and maybe I can use that one, but I swear I had them all lit up on the driver's side but slowly most of them died. Maybe the electrical tape around the top side of the lamp will work, also got some Q-tips to try to clean the terminals. I haven't tried to trim the sockets because it's so cold, but I can take the whole thing off maybe bring it in mess with it inside. I did also put a request with a boneyard as you call it out west somewhere - TOYO or something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts