Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ever wanted to strip your car for racing, heres a bunch of parts to look into, found this info a while ago and forgot to post it:

Passenger Seat (37lbs) - Removing the passenger seat is a very easy and effective way to give your Celica a small boost in power. The nice thing is that the seat is only held in place by 4 bolts.

2. Rear Seat (29lbs) - The rear seat is a little more complicated to remove than the passenger seat. When removing just remember where everything goes and it should be easy to put back in place whenever needed.

3. Rear Seat Cushion (10lbs) - The rear cushion should be removed at the same time as the rear seat.

4. Floor Mats/Front and Rear (6lbs) - Rediculous eh?

5. Tire Floor Cover (3lbs) - The tire floor cover is right underneath the rear hatch carpeting.

6. Spare Tire and Jack (32lbs) - Another easily removable item.

Total Easy Weight Removal = 117lbs or about a 9hp increase.

Intermediate Skill Weight Reductions

The weight reductions included below can even prove more effective than some of the reductions included above. However, once you start removing these items you are taking away from the cars overall appearance and in some cases its more predominent ammenities.

7. Air Conditioning (40lbs) - Removing the air conditioning will net you a reduction of about 40lbs. Be sure to remove everything from the engine as well as behind the dash. Should be completed by the experienced only.

8. Front Hood (50lbs) - 50 pounds!!! Replacing the Front Hood with a lightweight fiberglass or carbon fiber hood is a great way to remove some weight around the front end of the car. Consider that most CF hoods are between 4-10 pounds...yeah bet youll buy one now...

9. Stock Wheels (22lbs each/replacement weight from 11lbs each) - Replacing the wheels is a must for anyone seriously interested in increasing there cars performance. The stock wheels are quite heavy and can be replaced with a variety of aftermarket models. We would suggest searching for lightweight wheels. Replacing your wheels with lightweight wheels will dramatically increase your cars acceleration. We suggest not going over 17 inches if maximum performance is what you desire to achieve.

10. Front Drivers Seat (40lbs/replacement weight from 14lbs) - The front drivers seat on the Celica can easily be replaced with a much lighter alternative A lightweight racing seat will save you considerable weight and will also be effective once you have added more horsepower to your car.

Total Intermediate Weight Removal = up to 188lbs or a 14+hp increase.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thats some useful stuff...thanx..im sure everyone qill apprciate that

·
Registered
413 Posts
A lot of those are extremely over exaggerated. I believe there is a weight reduction faq on newcelica being made that should be fairly exact.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt weigh the parts myself Slv, this was an article I found. However it shouldnt be taken with a pint of salt, cuz the guy actually DID remove these parts to make a race Celica, and I dont think hed exagerate too much, however I agree with you on a few of the parts...they seem rounded up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This post has been edited by Acilec on Apr 19 2006, 09:47 AM
GOD DAMNIT WHERE IS MY EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
ok so i had a window leek and i did remove EVERYTHING from the doors back except the seatbelts (looks like a racer inside) here is some picks

This is everything just lying around

question!!! is this the fuel pump

this is with the seats gone i did remove all the plastics and the jack later

ok...so did i feel a difference? YES it was more than when i added my cold air the only thing is my tires are soft enough to throw rocks up and let me tell you they do throw rocks up and you hear them if your car is truly a 'racer' i would do this their is no comparision... i could only imagine if you went further like the A/C and the seat swap/removal and stereo adds weight

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha a TRUE celica fanatic. Im suprised you actually tried it but hey! One of our own tried it so thats great, looks like it wasnt too hard either? I wonder if you dynoed before and after what the real increase in hp would be.

·
Registered
556 Posts
well you would only see the increase while moving forward your enging at a stop still has the same power so i would say it has a 'torque' increase and i did it from the leaking window

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm guess your right about that, I didnt even think about it really, but that does makes sense. I wonder how it could be measured accurately...I spose the only way would be to run a trial of ets at the qm and then re-run the same number of trials in similar conditions with the modifications and compare...thats all I can come up with.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yeah me to... but personally its all going back in once i get that leaked fixed.... and im looking for 'looks' right now i need my car for college maybe later i can race it out...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Originally posted by JazViper+Apr 20 2006, 12:23 PM-->QUOTE (JazViper @ Apr 20 2006, 12:23 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-tripb101
@Apr 19 2006, 10:37 PM
This post has been edited by Acilec on Apr 19 2006, 09:47 AM
GOD DAMNIT WHERE IS MY EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit has been disabled from basic users... like you,
only moderators can edit posts. [/B]
how do i move up in this world (just want the edit buttom)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont even use it that often, you can just post asecond reply, or re-read what you want to post before you do?

·
Registered
743 Posts
guttin the inside totally makes a different, last year i had my car like trips there when i painted the interior , theres was a noticebable difference, almost wanted to leave it as a two seater and fiberglass the subs in the seat area, but then figure it wasnt practical then

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, a much as Id love to make mine a show car only, I do need it for grocery shopping and taking kids to school etc. I guess when you have a family its just not practical.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Originally posted by Acilec@Apr 20 2006, 06:27 PM
Hmm guess your right about that, I didnt even think about it really, but that does makes sense. I wonder how it could be measured accurately...I spose the only way would be to run a trial of ets at the qm and then re-run the same number of trials in similar conditions with the modifications and compare...thats all I can come up with.
as trip said, theres no actual power increase, just the pounds per horse power ratio changing(engine pulling less weight). one way to get a numerical (although hardly significant) would be to dyno the car, weight the car w/ all the stuff in it, then weight it again aftere all the junk has been removed. then take the cars recorded weights, and divide them by the cars hp output, cause that didnt change by removing parts (unless you dynoed with the ac on, and then took it off as a removed part)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You just said what we already concluded?

·
Registered
556 Posts
ok SO IS THAT THE FUEL PUMP?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts