Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ESP shows a brake lining issue .

I can't find documentation on the electrical sensor/ circuits .

What triggers this message besides a thin brake lining?

Will merely replacing the brake lining resolve this issue ?

I guess that I may need to pull the wheel to check.
Hope to have some advanced knowledge of the electrical circuit.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Check the brake pads before you even try digging up documents on a 77 Celica.

Always try the easier solution, which in my mind would be pulling the wheels and checking the pads before even starting a thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replaced the front brake pads this weekend .
Prior pads looked AOK , but as long as I was in there , I put in new pads.

Saw that the sensor wire plugs into a recessed well within the inside pad.
It appeared as if when the pad gets thin , the end of the sensor ( resembled carbon brush as in a motor) would contact the metal rotor. I am speculating that the contact action might complete / close an open circuit to trigger the ESP sensor brake lining message . This is only a guess, not factual.

Unfortunately,in spite of the new pads, I still get an ESP message : "brake lining".

So, I am back to square one: what causes an ESP brake lining message?
My guess is that a short to ground anywhere along either the left front or right front electrical sensor wire may trigger the message.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I plan to pull both front sensor wires and see if the ESP brake lining message goes away. I believe that it should go away if there are just 2 front sensors and the wires are no longer connected to the pads. That would open the circuit .
Perhaps there are 2 rear sensors also??
Perhaps a short in a front sensor wire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Internet research provided info on other brands of brake sensors .Nothing specific to Toyota Celica .

Perhaps their operation is the same as Toyota's , I do not know.

These other brands have sensors that appear to operate in the opposite mode of my speculation:

Here is my understanding of their system ---

the other brands( BMW ) send an electrical signal down one wire, have a top secret end of sensor tip structure, then send the signal back to the computer.

It seems that these other brands get burned up at the end once the brake pads wear thin , expose the sensor tip to the metal rotor and get friction burned at the end. This friction burn/ rub would cause an open circuit . I guess that this would trip the ESP to display : " brake lining ".

Based on this new info, I guess that either I need a new sensor tip or will need to complete the open circuit .

Any experts out there with documentation on the Toyota Celica brake sensor system ?
Why do I get an ESP display " brake lining" even though I have new pads?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts