Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>ok, so i read the post on engine swaps... But it doesnt help me. lol, i have lots of questions. I have an 89 GTS with the 3SGELC engine in it, and its not fast enough. I dont want to go buy another car, coz i like mine! And, i kinda want a project anyways...

K, the questions are....
swapping to a turbo engine. these 'JDM' engines are only in japan? so how many horses do the US All trac models come with? one of my buddies swapped his crx engine for a VTEC from JAP, coz they only had them back then,  not in north america until later...
Would u be able to swap an All trac motor with the 3sge motor fairly easy, as said for the 91 in the other post? or would there be LOTS of problems? Then, would it even be worth it to have that turbo hooked up for the amount its gonna cost? or should i just consider goin with the JDM? I work at a machine shop, so the machining is np, and i also have a SECOND job at a stereo/body shop (am i set up or what?!
) so installation is np either... I just want to know which engine to get... WHERE to get it, and roughly how much is it gonna cost with what kinda shape the engine will be in? Also will the whole front clip need to be swapped with an all trac to accomodate the turbo? and if so, will the new fenders etc bolt right on? (not a big deal, just curious)....

well, i think thats it (not much huh?! haha) Any info would be great, if u want, u can email me if u know a lot about it, or if u have done the swap before, anythings great, thanks  :thumbsup:
[email protected]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<font color='#000000'>COME ON! someone must have done this swap.... I see the motors on ebay for like 1200-1600 us, im sure there are cheaper ones local from companies goin outta business, but ANYONE!!! come on, i basically want to know of anyone i can get in touch with who has done this swap, or if u can even do it! are the transmissions in my 89 gts the same as a 90 gts? i know the bodies changed, but the trannies might not have? PLEASE, i can see that people have looked at the thread!
 lol

thanks, Dave</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
<font color='#000000'>It would be a very hard swap and extremely costly to match everything up.  Your basically looking at turning your car into a completely different car.  The alltrac has upwards of 200HP and is a rear wheel drive car.  So you will need a trani, engine, mounts, manifolds, pumps, drive train adjustment, ecu and a bunch of other fun stuff.  The swap is hard enough for 5th generation GTs and GTSs not to mention a 4th gen.  Best of luck though.</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>The ALLtrac is awd, so i guess yeah, it is rear wheel drive also. But i want to know if the 3sgte engine will bolt up to the fwd tranny of the 3sge car.</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
<font color='#000000'>look you cant turnt eh car awd so keep it front wheel drive.  Buy a 5sfe tani and then bolt the 3sgte engine up to that.  Make sure you buy a alltrac clutch and flywheel,  the 5sfe wont take the power.  Not to mention teh 5sfe trani may not take it for long.  But thats how we have been doing it and it works if your funding is there.</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font color='#000000'>??? I never said i wanted to turn it AWD, or i would just buy an Alltrac. I want to take a 3sgte and throw it in a FWD tranny, and i just need to know which trannys are gonna run with which engine mounts etc.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>ok to answer your questions, a 3sgte is a bolt in for your car. a 3sge tranny would work with this engine also, use a aftermarket good 3sge clutch this will cost some money but dont get cheap on it. the electronics are gonna be the hardest part. find some wiring diagrams ecu pinouts. ect... and take a week or two trying to figure it all out. or spend the xtra money in a engine management and keep the stock harness, so everything in the car works. the wiring for this swap is the hardest part!!! easiest way out of it is the engine management.</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font color='#000000'>sweet, haha, thats PRETTY much all i wanted to know... so i can go grab an alltrac engine, keep my tranny, no new mounts, just new ECU. Do u need to  change the fenders? i think the Alltrac and FWD's have different fenders? not too sure about that.

i have one more question... this one might take some hunting on my part, but since its a Celica forum, somone SHOULD be able to answer  :thumbsup:  (hopefully). My buddy has a couple MR2's that he wanted to put together. Well, one came as the rear clip with a 96' 3sge motor... apparently only has 21000 miles and 185 hp or somethin? now is there ANYWAY that might bolt up??
coz he wants to get rid of it (im gonna place an add in here) so that might save some time of runnin around if i can jack that off him
</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>the fenders you have are fine.
the engines below are the engines that will bolt into your car (wiring doesnt match but it will use the same motor mounts.)
3sfe
3sgte
3sge
5sfe</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts