Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been asked to replace an engine on a 1995 celica gt with a 5s-fe. The used engine options around here are slim, so I'd like to avoid having one shipped if possible. I'm a VW/Audi guy, so I don't know all the subtleties there are to know about toyota engines. Will ANY 5s-fe work for me? I have several Camrys with that engine to choose from, I just want to be absolutely sure I can swap one from a Camry into this Celica. Am I right in assuming they are the same (because I know making that assumption on an Audi motor could = bad time), or am I stuck with only 5s-fe engines that are in a Celica chassis? I've done some searching but can't find a definite, clear answer on this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,816 Posts
It's the same engine so long as whatever you pull from has a distributor. That's the identifying item. In 1997, the 5sfe was updated to a direct injection engine and will work in a Celica but it would require a bit of work. New ECU would be needed, along with wire harness and a bunch of time and money. However, any pre 97 5sfe you find will work no problem. Any 97 and up that have a distributor are actually celica 5sfe and will obviously work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, I've been asked to replace an engine on a 1995 celica gt with a 5s-fe. The used engine options around here are slim, so I'd like to avoid having one shipped if possible. I'm a VW/Audi guy, so I don't know all the subtleties there are to know about toyota engines. Will ANY 5s-fe work for me? I have several Camrys with that engine to choose from, I just want to be absolutely sure I can swap one from a Camry into this Celica. Am I right in assuming they are the same (because I know making that assumption on an Audi motor could = bad time), or am I stuck with only 5s-fe engines that are in a Celica chassis? I've done some searching but can't find a definite, clear answer on this.

Thanks in advance!
its not GT with that engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts