Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 GT. Ran perfectly fine. Got about a half mile from home, stalled would not restart. Cranks fine, but no restart. Assumed fuel pump, but it is in fact pumping. Distributor cap is immaculate inside as is rotor. Not sure how to get to or how to check coil. (Would it just quit?) Digging for ECU now. Found air bag controller then gave up for today.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Fun project :D ,,,,,,only kidding.
Been there, done that. You're half way to the ECU but I seriously doubt that is the problem.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Trunk Auto part

Keep digging if you want to get to the ecu. Your're half way there. It's pretty close to the bottom of the pile. Hope you have your neg battery disconnected. Don't want the airbag to fire up.
I would go under the hood and check the igniter, the coil, or run the easy test on the distributor coils. If it's the dizzy the car would probably start and run for a short minute and then quit again. At least that's what happened to me. Actually turned out to be bad internal dizzy coil. Any replacement you do get OEM or rebuilt OEM. Can't stress that enough. The cheap China stuff you find on the net is pure junk and you will be sitting on the side of the road again. I went through NAPA to find a rebuilt dizzy which wasn't cheap.
If you have an ohm meter the dizzy coil check is quite simple. Google it. There are two coils in the unit and they both must be operating at 170 ohms or above, any less and you're sol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
92 GT. Ran perfectly fine. Got about a half mile from home, stalled would not restart. Cranks fine, but no restart. Assumed fuel pump, but it is in fact pumping. Distributor cap is immaculate inside as is rotor. Not sure how to get to or how to check coil. (Would it just quit?) Digging for ECU now. Found air bag controller then gave up for today.
The Fuel Pump is in the Fuel Tank, below the floor, in the center of the back seat. The electrical connections rust and cause intermittent Fuel Pump function. A 5th Gen. Celica will spend a lot of time in a Gas/Ethanol soaking. If you replace the Fuel Pump, replace all the wiring connections as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts