Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another problem surfaced on the '91. 5s.
I replaced the ported vacuum sensor and the temperature sensor. That seemed to solve the misfire problems. Now after I start it and let it idle for 13 minutes it stone cold stops like I turned off the key. It will not start up until the temperature goes down to just about cold. I start it again and it repeats after it warms up.
I pulled the fuel pump, checked all connections and everything is good.
There are 5 "sensors" on the cooling manifold that I have no clue what three of them are. I have all the factory books plus a haynes and clymer and they none of them show three of the sensors.
Assuming that the shut down problem is temperature related I need to ask what are the other sensors for?
One is temp, one is ported vacuum, as I said they were both changed. One might be the knock sensor but I don't know which, the others are a complete conundrum.
Another thought would the coil cause the shutdown if it gets hot? I've replaced the ignition module, plugs, wires etc.
Here are some pics to what/where those sensors are.
Anyone have ideas??

·
Registered
297 Posts
  • The 2 port vacuum is used for the evap system
  • one of the electrical sensors is for the ecu (front tan)
  • a second, usually single wire, is for the water temp gauge on the dash (front, small sensor)
  • the remaining ports are plugged on a stock setup. You have an extra and it likely is aftermarket guage or fan control of some sort. (Top, green sensor with single wire)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I followed vacuum lines and wires and found most of them, I think the unidentified one leads to the aux cooling fan.
I did some research and believe the dead stop event(s) is a failing coil. When it gets hot it stops working. Wait for it to cool down and it works again until the heat sets in again.
I ordered a new NGK coil so now I have a complete NGK ignition setup, plugs, wires, coil. Hope that finally solves al the little gremlins. When I bought the car in July I expected some problems since it was in storage for over 4 years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. now I'm happier than a porker in a wallow.
Finally got the Toy back from the mechanic.
All the stalling, backfires, stopping, no start issues were caused by a bad dizzy! Took ohm on the original unit and one coil was bad, read "0" OHMS. After getting a "this will fit your car" aftermarket distributor we found that it 'fit' alright but it was the wrong type. Lesson learned. WHEN REPLACING PARTS ON YOU MOTOR OR RUNNING COMPONENTS USE ONLY OEM OR OEM REMAN PARTS!
I purchased an oem remanufactured dizzy out of Dallas, TX. 8 months of puttzin' and after replacing sensors, coils, ecm, etc.finally found the problem. The upside is that after 5 years in storage most of those parts needed replacing anyway so $ spent was not all bad.
The initial symptoms were stalling after about 30 minutes of running. and then the run time got shorter over the days when finally it would stall out after about 2 minutes or when the temp started rising.
HOPE THIS INFO HELPS SOMEONE ELSE THAT HAS STALLING ISSUES.
😀:):):):D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sefiro for all the advice and hints from this forum.
Will keep helping others if possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts