Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem surfaced on the '91. 5s.
I replaced the ported vacuum sensor and the temperature sensor. That seemed to solve the misfire problems. Now after I start it and let it idle for 13 minutes it stone cold stops like I turned off the key. It will not start up until the temperature goes down to just about cold. I start it again and it repeats after it warms up.
I pulled the fuel pump, checked all connections and everything is good.
There are 5 "sensors" on the cooling manifold that I have no clue what three of them are. I have all the factory books plus a haynes and clymer and they none of them show three of the sensors.
Assuming that the shut down problem is temperature related I need to ask what are the other sensors for?
One is temp, one is ported vacuum, as I said they were both changed. One might be the knock sensor but I don't know which, the others are a complete conundrum.
Another thought would the coil cause the shutdown if it gets hot? I've replaced the ignition module, plugs, wires etc.
Here are some pics to what/where those sensors are.
Anyone have ideas??

·
Registered
204 Posts
  • The 2 port vacuum is used for the evap system
  • one of the electrical sensors is for the ecu (front tan)
  • a second, usually single wire, is for the water temp gauge on the dash (front, small sensor)
  • the remaining ports are plugged on a stock setup. You have an extra and it likely is aftermarket guage or fan control of some sort. (Top, green sensor with single wire)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I followed vacuum lines and wires and found most of them, I think the unidentified one leads to the aux cooling fan.
I did some research and believe the dead stop event(s) is a failing coil. When it gets hot it stops working. Wait for it to cool down and it works again until the heat sets in again.
I ordered a new NGK coil so now I have a complete NGK ignition setup, plugs, wires, coil. Hope that finally solves al the little gremlins. When I bought the car in July I expected some problems since it was in storage for over 4 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts