Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New update:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByeSkPi9XE1wYW03NHpTdkN5Slk

Getting to the point of pulling the transmission out. I added some pictures in the middle of it and updated all of the figure numbers on the figures themselves but didn't update it in the text, so references don't line up from text to figures. Will fix.

Also, right now, the text and the appropriate figure are usually on different pages. I'm going to edit this when it's all done and make it easier to follow and generally suck less.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByeSkPi9XE1wTnFTWmJiTkx6Ykk

Done. 75 pages, 67 pictures, and 7,199 words.

And I've taken down the other links so people don't accidentally get the half done version.

I do plan on making one change to this one - for ease of understanding where the pictures are from, I was planning on adding an arrow to each picture showing where the front of the car is. Since that's not really necessary, I'm calling it done for now and anything that I can do to it later is a bonus.

· Registered
13 Posts
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByeSkPi9XE1wTnFTWmJiTkx6Ykk

Done. 75 pages, 67 pictures, and 7,199 words.

And I've taken down the other links so people don't accidentally get the half done version.

I do plan on making one change to this one - for ease of understanding where the pictures are from, I was planning on adding an arrow to each picture showing where the front of the car is. Since that's not really necessary, I'm calling it done for now and anything that I can do to it later is a bonus.
Dude your tutorial is amazing!! I will be using it soon =D

People like you are what make car forums. You're helpful and friendly. AHHH I'm excited. When meh clutch gets replaced I will definitely let you know how it goes.

· Registered
75 Posts
This is incredible and greatly appreciated. As a guy with a clutch job coming up soon, is there anything I can do to support this awesome effort? Do you take donations?

· Registered
16 Posts
This information has saved me a lot of trouble!! you've done a great dead to the 5th gen world :) if only I knew the throughout bearings changed in the cars after may of 1990. now I gotta wait for the new replacement.... tick.. tock...

· Registered
6 Posts
DLrocket89,
Thank you thank you thank you! With your most excellent guide I was able to replace the clutch on my 91 GT, my most ambitious repair by far. What follows is my experience.
The most difficult task for me was removing the driver’s side drive axle. I tried the various tricks I found online such as prying from below (didn’t work, even when rotating the axle between attempts), prying from above (couldn’t get leverage for prying because of stuff in the way), driving the axle out from the passenger side (the punch wouldn’t stay on the axle), and getting a slide hammer loaner from Autozone (the “horseshoe” opening of the slide hammer was smaller than the narrowest part of the axle). What finally worked was a variation of what I found on YouTube
: I grabbed the narrow part of the axle from below with my biggest channel lock pliers and struck the pliers with a hammer. My first attempt failed because I couldn’t hold the pliers still enough when struck, so I stacked some 2x12 boards on the ground to keep the bottom of the pliers from moving and bought a bigger hammer. About 5 heavy blows got the axle to move.
I also struggled with immobilizing the flywheel with a screwdriver when trying to loosen the bolts holding it to the crankshaft. Ultimately I fashioned a jig out of a long piece of thin (1/8 inch?) aluminum plate. I drilled three holes in the plate, two for flywheel bolts and one for a bolt that normally holds the transaxle to the engine, and used this when removing and reinstalling the flywheel.
When replacing the rear main seal, I decided to remove the old gasket material between the rear main seal housing and the oil pan and replaced it with new gasket maker (Ultra Black).
Following your write-up, I stacked some boards under the transmission, in my case held together with screws, to form a platform for jacking the transmission up and down. With this in place I was able to balance the transmission fairly easily by myself using a floor jack. One trick that helped when reinstalling the transmission was to hold the side mounting bracket in place to visualize where the corresponding mounting holes of the transmission needed to end up. This removed one degree of freedom, greatly simplifying the alignment needed to slide the transmission into place.
Based on reviews I found online, I chose an Exedy clutch which I bought from Rock Auto. I had the Haynes and Chilton manuals; overall I found the instructions in Haynes easier to follow, but the diagrams and torque specs were easier to understand in Chilton. (I used your write up as the primary source for this job because the workflow, photos, and diagrams were easy to follow.) I used 200 in-lb and 85 ft-lb torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. Their finish is not very good, but unlike some online reviewers, I found them to click very audibly. I also compared the 85 ft-lb wrench against a beam torque wrench (connecting them with 12 point 3/8 inch socket) and found good agreement between them.
Thanks again for posting your instructions!

Attachments

· Registered
221 Posts
Several years later... and this clutch-replacement documentation is still an enormous help!

I'm in the middle of the job having just removed the transmission (yech, it needs a ton of cleanup). I thought it might be helpful to note that the tranny-to-motor connection involves 10 different bolts, of varying sizes—6 bolts on the back side, 4 bolts on the front. I mention it only cause it's hard to see what's what, especially when covered in oil/filth, and now you will know when they're all out and the thing's ready to come apart!

· Registered
2 Posts
Google Drive: Sign-in Done. 75 pages, 67 pictures, and 7,199 words. And I've taken down the other links so people don't accidentally get the half done version. I do plan on making one change to this one - for ease of understanding where the pictures are from, I was planning on adding an arrow to each picture showing where the front of the car is. Since that's not really necessary, I'm calling it done for now and anything that I can do to it later is a bonus.
Hey, I know this forum is very dated at this point, but I’ve recently purchased a 91 celica and need to replace the clutch. The link is making me request access and I was really hoping you might see this and be able to grant the access request or email me the document if you still have it by chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts