Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the California Highway Patrol (CHP) has now added some newer model Chevy Cameros to the force, painted different colors and w/ recessed lighting, so you don't know they're on you until it's too late...makes me wonder how legal this is...

Does anyone know any more about these cars or where/when/how they're going to be used?

[begin rant]
Have you ever thought of the Highway Patrol as a business? That's how the government sees it. Think about it...if they really wanted to slow people down, they'd patrol (####, it’s their name! ). Most of you know that all they really do is sit and hide & go after people who are already speeding. They nail the speeders, take the money & go hide again. As much as I'd hate to see a CHP cruisin' up and down the highway, that's the only way to actually slow people down...if you pass him, you deserve the ticket for being stupid. But, there's no money in prevention! The bottom line is money, not our safety. When you're flyin' down the freeway & see a cop, you slow down. That's the way it works. It can't be any more obvious as to what works and what doesn't! Some pig, eating donuts, spilling coffee on his radar-shrunken testicles, hiding behind some shrubbery isn't going to make people obey speed limits. If he's lucky, he'll pull over one in a hundred, make a few hundred dollars for his poor little hick county & go cower in the bushes again. Instead, he could cruise along at 65mph & everyone will follow suit. Don't get me started on speed limits...that's a whole other rant...
[/end rant]

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the only pics I've found so far...

Read the story in the Sacramento Bee here:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/crime/s...p-4241435c.html

It sounds as though they're mainly targeting commercial truckers, but, of course, watch your ass!

Looking at those pictures...I'm sure most fat-ass CHP officers can't even fit inside a Camero...

G

·
:crazy: You're completely right. It's like the cameras. They just want to send you a ticket and not send some do driving school or something. Hell, at least that way they can get a little money and make people wish they had not sped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,
I live in Colorado, We have tons of Camaro pigs around here. We even have a few that are in corvettes. They also have a couple riced out Honda Hatchbacks. They wait for you to rev. them at a light then when you take off on them at the light, they just write your license plate number down then you get a ticket in the mail. Nice huh! The Camaro's we have look normal, but they have a decal on the side of them that read Outlaw. But other than that they look just like normal Camaro's( until you see the flashing lights behind you :cry: ) I just moved to Colorado about 10 months ago ( I'm from California) I had never had a ticket until I came here now I have 8 points on my driving record. The speed limits in the city of Colorado Springs are 55 on the highway, can you believe that. Well, I'm done. Chat at you guys L8er.
-Mark

·
Registered
298 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>hahaha, i know this post is ooolllddd,
but where i live,(next to I-5
we have 2 interstate undercover roadrage patrols,
1 2003 cadillac escalade
and a 1970-something stationwagon, complete with a trash-bag side window, torn bumper, broken taillight, and a brand new 2001 Corvette Engine, that thing is soo ugly, but I have seen it chase some dude, it is wiiicked fast,
The Police are getting smarter, I mean, if they have the guts to put something like that, in a car that old...

hahaha
they must be getting nuttier</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>yeah we have a couple of camaros in Buffalo too, but not all done up, they're just unmarked.  You'll see the sticker on the side but no lights on top or anything like that.  Makes it harder to spot them...  But I'm getting better at it!!!
 I havn't noticed anything really interesting like an escalade, but we do have a few suv's now too... it sucks... I was used to keeping my eyes open for crown vics, impalas, and now camaros... but suv's... I live in Buffalo for goodness sake, every other car is a suv!  :blush:</font>

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by 197666Celica@Feb. 12 2004,6:14
<font color='#000000'>if they have the guts to put something like that, in a car that old...</font>
<font color='#000000'>You mean if they have the money  :D  and they do, since apparently, were all speedin too much</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i saw some interesting stuff about a week ago. i heard people chatting outside at around 2am...two squad cars, an older saturn, and a couple modded imports (not quite sure what they were). i sat there and watched them and when one of em noticed me looking he said something to the others and they all got in their cars and bounced. later on i saw two squad cars fly by. my street is a 35, they had to be doin atleast 85. i figured "good, atleast they have some place to go now instead of sittin out there bullshittin. then i watched the two cars go to the end of the street and turn around and run again, it actually looked like a race. a few more runs up and down the street and another squad car joined in. not too long later the other 3 cars were back, and while they werent blatantly drag racing on the main street, it sure looked like they were seeing who could pick a faster route through the neighborhood. i didnt do anything. i figured it wouldnt be much help to call the police haha</font>

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>huh...thats weird, weve got mostly cool cops here but you get the bad ones every once in awhile.  Here in Tulsa all we have are the crown vics that are just painted white black or silver and have no lights but still have those huge spotlights on the side so its easy to see if its a cop or not...but then again once i saw a 90s ford aerostar, rust red and with hubcaps missing pull someone over so that kinda freaked me...

our big problem is speedtrap towns and the fact that if your seen in these town with anything other than a chevy truck they instantly start tailing you..thats how i got my ticket for 65 in a 35..the sign was ####### handmade and im supposted to obey it on a damn state highway!?  of course me doing it in my bright red civic hatch with 17" white rims and exhaust didnt help matteres but damn!  the judge held hearings in the kitchen of the "courthouse" and was just some lawyer that lived in town with crazy ass hair...GWAR!!!!!!!

time for racing...</font>

·
Registered
760 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I see the CHP Camaro at the dang truck weigh station whenever i come home from milpitas, it looks scary, u just know there isnt any way humanly possible to out run that thing. And i dont think it takes too much money to modify stuff, im sure they just take crap off the cars they impound (and dang there are alot of em) and either use em, or sell em on ebay to buy parts they can use, cynical bastages....</font>

·
Registered
760 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Really now..... Well, thats still faster than me lol.</font>

·
Registered
113 Posts
<font color='#008080'>Reminds me of the time I got pulled over for the 1st time up in ORegon... It was 1230am and I was at a light waiting for it to turn green and this white camero pulls up right on my ass.. I thought maybe he wanted to play..the light turns green and we were off! Well, it was a 25 mph zone and as soon as I got up to 40 mph I saw red and blue lights coming from the camero! I couldnt believe it! Before he got to my car I had my head out the window sayin "I have no idea what I was thinking?!" The state trooper said" neither do I, you can't outrun me in my camero".. hahaha.. we talked for a good 10min and he let me go without a ticket.. he just told me to watch the speed limit  :thumbsup:</font>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
<font color='#000000'>SCC speaking on the CHP Camaro:

"It hit 60 in 5.69 seconds, zipped through the quarter mile in 14.14 seconds at 102.48 mph and only stopped accelerating when GM's lawyers hit the electronic off switch at 159 mph"

a far cry from what you guys thought.
and no they aren't sup'ed up, what do you think this is the car from 'Tommy Boy'?

also the
Ford Police Interceptor
16.99 sec. @ 84.10 mph
Top Speed 128 mph

Data from 2002 MSP police vehicle evaluation program</font>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts