Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post.
I have a 2002 toyota celica with 145,xxx miles on it. The check engine light came on and I took a look and it's showing:p0440, P0441, and P0446. I cleared the codes once and it came back after a few days. From all my reading I've seen that it can sometimes be caused by not screwing the gas cap on all the way, but I don't think thats my issue. I've read that other people have had all 3 codes when there is issues with the vapor/charcoal canister. I'm gonna replace the gas cap o-ring first. but is there anything else I should try before the vapor canister? and anyway to verify that is the issue without dropping the gas tank?

I appreciate all the help!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post.
I have a 2002 toyota celica with 145,xxx miles on it. The check engine light came on and I took a look and it's showing:p0440, P0441, and P0446. I cleared the codes once and it came back after a few days. From all my reading I've seen that it can sometimes be caused by not screwing the gas cap on all the way, but I don't think thats my issue. I've read that other people have had all 3 codes when there is issues with the vapor/charcoal canister. I'm gonna replace the gas cap o-ring first. but is there anything else I should try before the vapor canister? and anyway to verify that is the issue without dropping the gas tank?

I appreciate all the help!!!
I had the same codes on a Celica GTS with 300K miles. Spend quite a bit of time researching and troubleshooting. Checked PCV and EGR, all seemed to work. Bought a new Solenoid on top of the Charcoal Cannister, had to pay $80 for a shop to install, same CE codes came back.

New OEM Charcoal Canister goes for about $600 at dealer. So bought an used cannister in eBay, paid a guy $50 to swap it out. That got rid of all the codes.

So save your time, headache and money, buy an used cannister on condition if it's dead you can return it, because it may be old and corrupt inside too. You do have to have to rear of the car on stand or on lift to access it. A few bolts and nuts may be rusty and hard to get off. Don't risk your safety. May be better to find a shop that can do it for half hour or $50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts