Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear speakers in my celica have been blown ever since I got it, but my searches did not come up with any information on how to replace them, how to remove the quarter interior trim, or even what size they were.....

So. My wife and daughter were out of town last week, so I did some exploratory surgery, and replaced them. Here's what I found. If you have a convertible, and have worked on it at all, you are probably familiar with the coach-built quality of these, so there's a decent chance that some of this will be different, but it's probably pretty accurate.

Tools: Philips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, trim stick (careful use of a flathead acceptable), 10mm socket, 12mm socket, maybe 14mm socket. (obviously I did it with an impact driver, but hand tools are just fine).
20170711_191117~01 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I did this with the top and windows down to really make it easy to get at everything, but most of it could be done with the top up.

Fold the back seat down, and un-do the 2 12mm bolts to remove it from the hinges:
20170711_191143 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Pop the back of the sill molding off and pull it off to one side (doesn't have to be removed completely, but the back overlaps the quarter molding).
20170711_175047 by Numbchux, on Flickr

20170711_175101 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Remove the rear seat base. It's just clipped in at the front, and then will lift free.

Then gently pry the speaker grill off.
20170711_174349 by Numbchux, on Flickr

There are 5 larger phillips screws in the interior side of the panel (one behind the speaker grill, 2 covered by the seat bottom, and 2 by the seat back (one of those is hidden behind the hinge in this picture))
20170711_174552 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Remove the 4 10mm bolts that hold the seat hinge and latch on, and remove them.

Pry the little cover off the 3 smaller screws on the back edge of that panel:
20170711_174739 by Numbchux, on Flickr

And remove them:
20170711_174806 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Then to the top edge of the panel. There's a screw hidden by the front seat belt:
20170711_174515 by Numbchux, on Flickr

There are 2 snaps (presumably for the hard cover), the outer one is just screwed into the plastic, but the inner is screwed into the structure of the car, and will have to be removed.
20170711_174452 by Numbchux, on Flickr

For the last 2 screws, the top will have to be folded most of the way down (or part of the way up).
20170711_175007 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Then the panel lifts off pretty easily. Then it's just 4 screws that hold the speaker to the frame. It is glued in, as well, so will take a bit of prying, but not too bad.
20170711_175530 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I used these 4" speakers to replace the old ones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4D2YBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were a direct fit. The screws lined up perfectly, and the wiring was an exact swap.
20170711_175755 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I'm extremely happy with the results. I'm no audiophile, so they're probably not the greatest thing out there, but what do you expect from a 4" speaker?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to have to tackle this sooner or later.

Is it possible to pull off the grill, and cut the plastic panel around the speaker just enough to allow removal and installation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much for this post. I really thought I'd have no luck finding this information. Do you have any other good information on the stereo system? I'm starting with the rear speakers (took of the square cover) because they are obviously rotten on mine. I was under the impression that there was an issue with the amp under the passenger seat so I might have to do some other work to get a working radio. Since it looks like such a pain to get to those back speakers though I'm going to replace them since I know for certain there blown and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I want to replace mine and it looks like there is plenty of plastic that can be trimmed away so the speaker can be removed through the hole, has anyone done it that way?

Dddaringer I just replaced the head unit on my 91 convertible, if you have the one piece CD/cassette player I can save you a lot of time and make the replacement a breeze.

Mario

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did some exploratory surgery and even if you were to cut away the plastic down to the lip where the grill cover hides you still can't get at the screws that hold the stereo in. Looks like removing the panels is the only way to swap the speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this, I used it today as a guide and replaced my rear speakers. Went really smooth, start to finish about 3 hours but 2 of those were on the first side, the second side went much smoother.

I put in 4" Rockford Fosgates and they sound awesome. I replaced the door speakers earlier this week, just got to do the dash speakers now.

Thanks Again,

Mario

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
Very usefull. I am going to try it myself, but plan on repairing the original speakers, if possible.
Best regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
Most of the pictures I've seen of the interior of fifth generation Celicas show the dash cup holder fixture ajar. Is anybody out there who has been able to fix the problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts