Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1993 celica st and it’s been running fine for the majority of the time i’ve had it but it started to not want to start randomly so i changed the starter and it went away for a couple days but then it started happening again and i changed the starter again and still doing the same thing
i turn the key and it won’t even crank and i have a battery light on
pls help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this issue on my 93' and I resolved it by tracing all my ground wires, cleaning the surfaces, and re-bolting them back to the frame. Sometimes it's just bad ground. If you've already changed the starter I bet it's an electrical issue I would double-check any connections, fuses, etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can isolate next time. Park, neutral, key on then use a decent heavy gauge piece of wire to jump the starter primary wire to the starter solenoid control wire pin that is nearby on the starter.
  • If it starts and runs, then battery wiring is good but the starter control circuit is bad. Thus control circuit includes key cylinder, relay, neutral safety switch (or clutch pedal switch) and possibly a security system.
  • If the starter does not engage or spin, then starter is really bad, or more likely, battery/battery connections are bad. You'll want to use a meter to check voltage at starter primary to battery terminal.
  • If starter clicks, but doesn't spin then battery is weak, starter primary wire is damaged or starter is bad. If an new stater, then check other items first.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
The former owner and I had the same issue. Rebuilt the starter motor, put in a new ignition switch/barrel, put in a new NSS and new relay, still had the problem. I could jump the starter as Sefiro described. It still takes two turns of the key to kick in the starter but so far it has not been a major issue. I just carry a short jumper wire in the trunk in case of emergency :)
Suspect bad ground somewhere or dirty connections on the female slots of the relay plug. A winter project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts