Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>ok so as everyone knows i been using my celica as a project car, i been working it for about a year now, and have the engine pretty much done, I am waiting for my distributor to come back from the machine shop, so it will work with the engine management and thats gonna allow me to convert the distributor over to wasted spark (coil packs). well a couple weeks ago i found a really good deal on a eclipse that looked to be in excellent condition but needed a lot of work under the hood. I got that as my next project car, and wanted to get it done faster so i been switching between that and my car, doing this and that on them, I ordered just about everything i need to do the eclipse and now im waiting on all the parts to come in, and for my car i have the engine in computer hooked up and running Just waiting for the distributor. so im just doing some looks to that as i wait...
well here goes my bad luck to haunt me.....
i borrowed my girls moms car, she has a 00 hyundai, she bought it new and has had a decient amount of problems with it they all seam to happen when im using it..
couple months ago i used it to go to delaware (i live in nj) as i was going over the delaware memorial bridge it decieded it didnt want to run anymore and died on top of the bridge.. i tried to start it back up and it wouldnt start so i sat there for a couple min and tried agian and it started so i figured maybe it needs a tune up it had 50k miles on it and nothing was ever done to it, so i proceed down the bridge and go throught the toll go to accelerate and the same thing happened so i sat there for a couple min and tried to start it it wouldnt start so i waited a few more min. went to start it and the starter was now broke. i called the tow truck and took it to mny buddies garage where i called my girls mom and told her what happened and explained it probrolly just needed new plugs and wires, and now a starter as well. she was a little mad thinking i did something to the car or beat it or something causing it to break.. as u can see she dont know about cars, and if something breaks she doesnt think it was caused by the lack of maintance but its caused by the driver. so i get her a new starter new plugs wires, and air filter. i start it up started with no problem i let it run for a little while and it was fine so i took it back to jersey about a mile from my house it died again.. so i waited for a couple min started it back up and it got me home. i explained to her that wasnt the problem and the car was still acting up. so then she got all upset thinking it didnt need a new starter, i tried explaining to her the starter isnt causing the problems with the car, the starter went causing the car not to turn over.. but i dont think she listened. a couple days later we took it to be diagnosed cause i could not find the problem.. it was the cam positioning sensor, we ordered a new one and spent another 300 and some dollars keep in mind the starter was 200 some so this was like a 600 dollar fix she was a little bent about that.. but it got fixed and the car was fine then.. well the other day i go to borrow it again, and again i had to go to delaware i took it up to my boys shop and replaced the power steering belt for her cause it was squeking, then i flushed out the tranny fluid and swapped the filter cause it now has 60k miles on it and it was never done at the 30k like it was soppost to be done. i replaced the air filter cause it looked like hell. i also noticed the back tire had a nail in it so i pulled it out and plugged it, it also needed two new tires for the front cause the alinment was off but i decieded to wait on that and tell her to get the new tires so i can do that for her. i left and went to go back home and on my way home i hear a pow tick tick tick tick tick.. i pulled over as fast as i could it sounded like it blew a tire so i shut the car off and got out expecting a tire to be blown i expect all the tires and they are all full and fine, so i was like what the hell was that i lift the hood and see nothing wrong. i got back in the car and went to turn it over and it was cranking really fast. so I thought it was the timing belt i called a tow truck and got towed back to my buddies shop where i took off the timing cover and just like i thought it was the timing belt, i ordered a new retimied the car and went to turn it over by hand it would turn so much and then u hear "Click" and then it would stop so my nightmare had just begun i figured when it went it bent a valve.. i pulled the head and sure enouph it didnt just bend a valve it bent everyone on the intake side, bent 2 on the exhast side and totally broke 2 more on the exhast side, the two that broke also got slammed into the piston causing about 10 big craters in the dish.. i found all the parts to fix it and its gonna cost me about 1200 to fix, and thats doing all the work myself.. luckely i found a new engine that is going to be delivered but i wont have it intill monday, and she needs it done by monday night...
and again im being blamed for this cause she dont understand how a timing belt can cause so much damage. i tried to draw it out on paper for her, to show her what a timing belt does and she still dont understand, i guess she thinks i take her car out rallying or something and break it on her... :down:
will my bad luck ever end? when will i start getting some good luck?</font>

·
Registered
364 Posts
<font color='#000000'>People don't ever want to think that they are at fault. She is just punishing you because you told her there was a problem.. if she didn't take care of the damn thing then it is her fault. That may sound cold, but I feel hella sorry for you that she is making you feel worse when I can only imagine how bad you feel already.  Man.. that just sucks so bad... Good luck and let us know    
</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>thanks tcs... its nice having someone who understands, and listens.
i will keep u up to date</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>erk bad luck dude. i hate when ppl give you grief over something that is really their own stupid fault.

tip for the future. dont drive her car. it aint worth the hassle,  new engine, starter...... etc can pay for a lot of taxi's. it  just aint worth the bother.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>a hyundai period aint too great a combo

a mate of mine has just got a 89? excel. totaled his 86 genini. ill be interested to know how long the hyundai lasts before it dies. the gemini was indestructable not just his but pretty much all of them. and he gives his car hell. i say prolly 6 months assuming he dosent crash it.</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts