Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hello to all of my fellow memebers, I have kind of a stupid question.  I found a 1986 Celica gts at a local salvage yard that has a 3sge engine in it, From the specs that I have found on  the 3sge the compression is 9.2:1  I found this engine for $50 and i was just kind of Curious if it would be worth the time and money to turbo it, I also found a place that says the 1986 3sge has 10 more horse power then the 1991 5sfe which would give it roughly 140 horse. Another question I have The Sincronisors in the 5sfe tranny are going out, Will the 3sge tranny work on a 5sfe engine? I will by it if It will work on the 5sfe tranny, Also I have a few more questions about the 86 3sge.
1. Can anyone tell me if the engine is a bolt up deal or what kind of mods would need to be done?
2.Is the 3sge anymore powerfull then the 5sfe?
3.Would it be worth the time and $$</font>

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hey dude i have a 86 GT-S and the 3sge puts out 135 horses stock. Ive had mine up to 127 mph but it still had 1300 rpms left. Not sure bout the turbo thing but that be awesome if you could. id maybe want to. Anyways thats what i know.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the 3sge is a *better* engine then the 5sfe... however depending on the condition of the engine it may or may not be viable to drop it into your car.. i wouldnt bother turbo'ing it.

im guessing the engine has a few miles on the clock , youd be looking at new internals the whole kit and kaboodle it wouldnt be worth it.

as far as dropping it into your st184 not worth it if the engine is *old* as there is a bit of work involved. but if your current 5sfe is ###### then look at going for a 3sge.. perhaps not that one depending on condition. i believe the transmission will bolt up no grief.. but iirc you need a new clutch pack. ? jhull ?

the 5sfe and the 3sge are about the same power but the 3sge has more potential and likes being spun up a bit more then the 5sfe.. in short it is a funner motor if you like going for a spin
</font>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hey toof, I dont think theres a 1991 Celica In the USA that has as mnany miles on the stock 5sfe as Mine,225,000 miles on it. Thats one of the reasons i want to do an engine swap, Hey wil the 3sge tranny bolt to the 5sfe motor?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>5sfe is 130hp
3sge is 135hp on first gen
that 5 hp is worth it cause it takes mods much better then the 5sfe much easier to squeeze more out of it. redline is much higher. just a over all better designed engine. first gen was made by yamaha. 3sge engine will bolt to a 5sfe tranny and vise versus. blocks are the same just less bore and stroke on the 3sge but the head is much better.3sge and 5sfe have the same motor  mounts. different harnesses and ecus (of course sensors are different) and the 3sge also uses the mass air meter, as the 5sfe uses map sensor to measure air</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts