Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>What can i do to prevent my celica's breaks from squeaking? The breaks are about a year old and they are starting to squeak. Is there any way to keep them from doing it.  I think it makes my Celica look bad when i'm coming to a squeaky stop.</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yeah, everybody's been looking for an answer to the mysterious 6th gen brake squeaks.

what i've discovered is that it is NOT:
1.  a problem with the drums, only happens in the discs
2.  worn brake pads, because when you press harder on the brakes the squeak goes away
3.  poor quality pads, even the stock celica pads do this
4.  rain/dryness, happens in wet weather as well as in the dry
5.  the rotors, even if you get the machined.

what i HAVE discovered, however, is that my wheels build up a large amount of brake dust, more so than any car i've owned.  i've had several mechanics look at it and they put on new pads/machined the rotors, and the squeak seems to go away but comes right back within a week and comes and goes.  it's weird, every 6th gen celi owner i've heard has it.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Ok My problem is when the breaks stop sqeaking when you press harder on the breaks.  But I thought my Celi was a 5th Gen?  isn't the 6th gen the one's with the circular lights in the front?  Well It didn't start doing this till like a couple of weeks ago and i've had it since May.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>generally this means its time for new pads.. how many k's do you ahve on them ?  remember pad life is directly related to how hard you use them
if you are floggin the brakes all the time then expect quick pad wear.</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yeah, you have a 5th gen, at the time of the posting i your siggy wasn't coming up.

but it's not a problem with worn brake pads, a week after i got my pads replaced it started doing it again.  worn brake pads will squeal and continue to squeal even if you apply more pressure because of the indicator.  but on the 5th and 6th gens it'll squeal when you lightly press the brakes, and then go away when you apply more pressure.  it's very strange.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Geez I can't stand the fact that it does this. Eventually it'll piss me off so much i'll take the wheel off just to see what's making them squeak.  Well how about this question also... I'm trying to learn alot about my car but yeah here's my question.  I Notice blue smoke coming out of the back of my exaust when it's started up.  Also My Dad thinks the reason my car is slow maybe because the (Hope i get this right) Catilitic converter might be cloged. And i was wandering if that might have something to do with the blue smoke? I'm not burning any oil. I've had my oil for over 4,000 miles and i know it's time to change the oil i'll do that this saturday but yeah, the oil is still gold, it's not black And it's still full. This is a hard question.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#000000'>Yeah Mine is an 92' ST Don't worry i'll eventually figure out a way to stop it and then let you all know. But what about my other questions with the catilitic Converter?</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>you got calipers in the front you can check, but i've removed my wheels and couldn't figure it out.  i know that if you take your caipers apart and put it back together it'll magically fix it, but then it comes right back a week later.

blue smoke is a sign of your engine burning oil, you've either got worn valve guides, o-rings, or the cylinder heads themselves.  if you don't get it checked out it'll gunk up your sparks and the smoke will turn black and ugly.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>How can i find out if my car is a GT or something. Cause it doesn't have any letters on the back of it saying that i's an ST.  Will it say it anywhere else?  Once i started the car it doesn't burn a bluish color anymore It did it this morning and now when i started it up this evening it didn't do it. But it burns blue every once in a while.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font color='#000000'>now if your talking about the gunk and stuff could it be that it may glog up the Catilitic Converter? And if so would that be the cause of my slugishness? It would seem like that makes sense. Cause it's been doing that burning blue color for a while but only once a day or so it doesn't do it anymore after that.</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>if you got calipers in the front and drums in the back it's an st.  gt has calipers all around.

your car might be feeling kind of slow because... it's a slow car?  the 5th gen economies got a swift kick in the ass as far as horse power and curb weight.</font>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font color='#000000'>Now if my rings are bad which may be the case, how much would it cost to do it my self with my dad cause he has done it before and such.  He said it's like 800 bones. Is that true? I don't think i can afford that. :down:</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by Slaxer@Sep. 09 2003,6:28
<font color='#000000'>Now if my rings are bad which may be the case, how much would it cost to do it my self with my dad cause he has done it before and such.  He said it's like 800 bones. Is that true? I don't think i can afford that. :down:</font>
<font color='#000000'>uh.... maybe your dad fixed them on an ocean liner or something, because 800 is way overpriced.  you could get a toyota dealership to do it all for you, cam seals, orings for about $300.</font>

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>its true about the 6th gen brakes. i just changed them a week ago and even painted my calipers for that COOL look  
 but anyways they still squeel. the only thing i could do is when i wash the car i take off all the brake dust and that seems to work. but only for a couple days. like 2 days. i dont want to wash my car every other day. ive tried the gel you put inbetween the pads to make them stop, the spray it just doesnt seem to f*cken work!!!  
</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>the blue smoke is OKAY, most 5sfe engines puff out blue smoke if they havent been in use for a while, ive seen a lot of celicas, and mr2's do it, its cuz there is like oil stuck on the valves that havent fully shut or something in the motor(this is what i was told)and when you start it up, it burns up and comes out the end, common problem, mine does it every morning</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>GTs also have calipers in the front and drums in the back, the GT-S is the only celica besides the alltrac that has 4 wheel disc brakes, im thinking about doing a drum to rotor conversion</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by HawkEye@Sep. 10 2003,5:47
<font color='#000000'>im thinking about doing a drum to rotor conversion</font>
<font color='#000000'>so you can have twice the squealing?  :)</font>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts