Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals,
I have a 1991 Toyota Celica GT. The tail lights appear to work fine, but all three brake lights do not appear to light. I checked the fuses. One of them was a little crispy. I changed it out but they still do not light. Any suggestions?

Michael

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
+1

couldn't have said it better - but if you have a spoiler with the LED light bar instead of the nternally mounted 3rd brake light - I would be looking at the switch behind the brake pedal for answers - those LED's don't just go altogether/all at once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, here is the deal. I thought I had the stoplights working yesterday evening. Here is what I did:
first I replaced the fuse, it was shot.

second I pulled the stoplight switch and tested the connections for continuity. Both connectors buzzed the multimeter

third I replaced the original stoplight switch and tested the brakes. YEAH!!! The main stoplights work.

I figured the window stoplight was just burnt out bulbs. So, I went to the local store and purchased two new bulbs for it.
No stoplights. So, this is what is next.

So far. I have wiggled the wiring around the stoplight switch. No change.

My next stop is NAPA. Time to replace the stoplight switch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. is there any way to replace the current bulbs with L.E.D.s instead of bulbs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys. here is what I figured out. The problem is the fuse block in the kick panel. Now I just need to find out where to get one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having this issue, couple of questions... Where is the brake light switch and I don't have a cover to my fuse box, which fuse goes to the brake lights?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced my switch and my Brake lights still don't work. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solution? I need to figure this out so I can get back and forth to work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1991 Toyota.

There is a small electronic module, cigarette pack, somewhere in the car that drives the brake light. Most likely it is damaged, burned out, or has a few solder joints cracked.

Look it up, check it out, may be buy an used unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts