Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about timing chain noise.When first started engine rattles loudly,when it warms up it goes away,In last month I hear it a little all the time.It didnt make sense to me,I think if chain or guides or tensioner were worn,it should get louder after it warms up from chain expanding,I just took off serpentine,took two bolts out top of alternator,released tensioner and still had to pry of alternator.I fugure wrong belt or tensioner or is there an easier way to remove belt? Started engine without belt, no chain noise,reved up,put in gear no rattle.Alternator,water pump,bearing on comp and tensioner bearing seen to spin smooth.Has anyone had a power steering pump make your chain rattle?Hope a new pump solves my problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Happened to me while I was flushing the engine oil. If oil is not getting pumped into the head, the timing chain and sprockets will rattle.

Flush engine oil with MOTOR MEDIC GUNK ($6 WALMART) to unblock any blockage. I would do it at half strength, idle the engine 15-20 minutes. Dumped old oil, refill and repeat to see if it helps.

Check the VVTI solenoid. Clean out the metal mesh filter the size of a cigarette filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happened to me while I was flushing the engine oil. If oil is not getting pumped into the head, the timing chain and sprockets will rattle.

Flush engine oil with MOTOR MEDIC GUNK ($6 WALMART) to unblock any blockage. I would do it at half strength, idle the engine 15-20 minutes. Dumped old oil, refill and repeat to see if it helps.

Check the VVTI solenoid. Clean out the metal mesh filter the size of a cigarette filter.
I saw your post a while back about the flush.I did that when I did a synthetic oil change.When I took off the belt the tensioner would only move a little,had to pry off the worn belt.I changed old belt and tensioner,who ever worked on it before I bought the car put on a tensioner and belt for a 1zz ,the length of the arm was a few inches shorter than the 2zz I installed.Sounds great no more rattling,squeeling,slipping .New belt was a pain to get on but I got it.Toyota should of put a hole thru the well so you could take out the bolt,no that would make it to easy.Thanks everyone for the helpful posts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts