Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my retracting antennae multiple time on my 92 Celica because "life" keeps bending it. I want to put in a fixed stubby style antennae but I cannot seem to find one that fits plus I have no idea how to connect to the radio. The one I have looks like it is supposed connect to the previous antennae or something but I cannot figure out how.

Any tips from someone else who has done this? Oh yea, and I have a spoiler in back to add to the complications.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've used retractable for my 92. Probably on my 4th one. Have to replace it as it gets stuck with freezing rain, then something happens while it is stuck up. Why put a fixed one on? You might be replacing it more often.

In any case, use a stubby screws onto a stud that is mounted to either the fender or a bracket under the fender (that allows rain to drain through). Most modern "studs" have a leader that the antenna cable plugs into.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Life had mine "distorted" also. I just picked up a cheap Chinese knock off from eBay Had a swivel clamp on the back. Put an 0 ring around it and loaded it up with black silycone. wouldn't go up with the radio so I wired a sperate on/off switch on the center console.
Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1994. I installed a rubber mast antenna so it had the maximum of flexibility and durability. There are kits out there that have a round mounting with like a ball on the outside so you can set the angle and clocking. The problem is that the mount is for a hole and with the curve of the rear fender, you are left with an oval hole. The angle on the inside is almost too extreme for the way the system mounts. I used a thin plastic sheet material that could bend and form along the inside so I could tighten up small enough so the inside mounting would not pull thru. Then used a combination of rubber washers to fill and seal everything. Had no problems through over 5 years of Detroit winters. It was a measure of patience to install it and was a head scratcher at the hardware store and hobby store to come up with stuff to make it happen. My car is long gone to the rust gods and junkyard but I can say that it is possible to adapt a fixed antenna to a Celica rear fender.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts