Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 celica ST with the 1.6 4afe engine and 5 speed it is just about to shoot craps. As luck will have it I found a 90 AllTrak turbo with the body totaled. I bought it for cheap. Ok so to the point. I plan to turn my ST into an AllTrak turbo. I figure itll be alot of work. Is there anything I should know before I start? Will all the mechanics bolt right on or will I have to modify the ST body to make some of it work? What about wireing will I have to use all or some of the AllTrak wireing? Thank you for any advise anyone can offer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Forget the alltrak....thats next to impossible...it could be done, but I think the coupe is shorter, so its more work than the car is worth....  But however, you can put the alltrac engine in the ST....but I believe you will need a 5 speed out of a GT...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't bother trying to convert your ST to AWD unless you want to drop a ton of dough on the project.

The engine, however, will swap in.  The motor mounts won't line up as the block is different, but you should be able to use the mounts out of the alltrac.  Also, the mount on the left near the alternator is in a different location and would have to be moved.

The tranny has to be changed as well, and that means clutch disc/axles/hubs for whatever tranny you want to go with.  You can use the S53 tranny from a Celica GT or you can use an mr2 turbo tranny (E153?) and convert it to FWD by replacing the shift actuator.  The S53 is easier.

- abatardi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Damn, I just spent $1,500 buck on a 225hp JDM all-track engine for my wife's 92 ST. I was told the engine would just drop right in. All I had to do was use my  original gear box. Damn, now my wife is going to kill me and I'll be sleeping with the fishes  :sleeping: because I have to spend even more money...  I also told her I was going to try to make it a 4WD. But that's out now. Thanks for the info.  

1 - 4 of 4 Posts