Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my cousins wife's car and she is leaving in a week. I just did her power steering, engine mount was broken on the bottom and bouncing around. Yesterday I replaced her fuel filter and fuel pump. The filter was BAAAAAD. I thought surly that would fix it. Nope.

Today I cleaned the throttle body and I took apart the distributor. I cannot find any information on how to test it. It doesn't look good the ohms on the sensor plug was reading 175. That is all I know. I am going to order a new one any just replace it anyway.

You floor the gas and it accelerates very slowly and up a hill it won't go above like 25 miles an hour. No sputtering, no miss firing. something is squealing really loud when the car hits 3,000 rpms. Sounds like a bearing or something but cannot tell where it is coming from. There are no check engine lights on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The noise could be a seized idler pulley or AC compressor pulley. However, that would not cause low power. Does the engine rev in park/neutral. It sounds like a plugged exhaust system. Either the catalyst is melted and plugged or an animal made a nest in the muffler. There are adapters to remove an oxygen sensor and thread in an adapter to measure the pressure in the exhaust system. 8psi is really bad. Highest pressure will be at horsepower peak. Most of the time you will be at less than 2psi at 3000rpm. Under 1psi is ideal. That is just holding a steady rpm in park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise could be a seized idler pulley or AC compressor pulley. However, that would not cause low power. Does the engine rev in park/neutral. It sounds like a plugged exhaust system. Either the catalyst is melted and plugged or an animal made a nest in the muffler. There are adapters to remove an oxygen sensor and thread in an adapter to measure the pressure in the exhaust system. 8psi is really bad. Highest pressure will be at horsepower peak. Most of the time you will be at less than 2psi at 3000rpm. Under 1psi is ideal. That is just holding a steady rpm in park.
I found the noise. It was a vacuum leak. Never solved the power problem though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts