Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings everybody, i need some assistance figuring out why my car wont get spark.

ill go in depth to everything iv'e done to it and the exact sequence of things that have happened
i have replaced
-spark plugs
-camshaft sensor/distributor
-crankshaft sensor
- timing belt and tensioner (not significant to spark but relevant to the rest of the story)

96 cali emission chassis with 94 federal emission 5SFE engine with everything swapped excluding head, injectors and ecu.

been battling finicky bits with the different emissions and all after a swap on a budget
finally running good but i had a code for my temp sensor
as soon as i replaced my temp sensor that code went away but a new one arose telling me my camshaft sensor was going bad (didn't surprise me as it was a cheap ebay/amazon replacement)
as i drove it for the rest of the day at one point it died, the second that it died my engine light went away and still hasnt come back. Afterwards when i inspected it i saw no spark and it was off time
so i fixed the timing (because the belt was a shit cheap replacement too) and i replaced the distributor.
yet after fixing what seemed to be the only issues i found it still isn't getting spark to the plugs
then replaced crankshaft sensor and even tried swapping in the old distributor but to no avail.
the coil seems to be getting power to the end of the wire so i don't understand where the spark cut is or why
and if it is the coil how insanely coincidental is that.
its also not getting fuel but that's because if the computer sees it isn't getting spark then it doesn't run the fuel pump.

so if anybody has any ideas what my problem could be it would help me out alot.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Where did you get the distributor? If it was an ebay $65. special I would suspect that. I had an issue with my '91 5sfe where it would only spark on one revolution and it turned out to be one of those "THIS WILL FIT YOUR CAR" dizzy.
Bit the bullet and went to NAPA and ordered an OEM reman. Car started right up without problems.
There are checks/tests for your coil, dist, igniter. Maybe there is a loose primary some where??
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
greetings everybody, i need some assistance figuring out why my car wont get spark.

ill go in depth to everything iv'e done to it and the exact sequence of things that have happened
i have replaced
-spark plugs
-crankshaft sensor
- timing belt and tensioner (not significant to spark but relevant to the rest of the story)

96 cali emission chassis with 94 federal emission 5SFE engine with everything swapped excluding head, injectors and ecu.

been battling finicky bits with the different emissions and all after a swap on a budget
as soon as i replaced my temp sensor that code went away but a new one arose telling me my camshaft sensor was going bad (didn't surprise me as it was a cheap ebay/amazon replacement)
as i drove it for the rest of the day at one point it died, the second that it died my engine light went away and still hasnt come back. Afterwards when i inspected it i saw no spark and it was off time
so i fixed the timing (because the belt was a shit cheap replacement too) and i replaced the distributor.
yet after fixing what seemed to be the only issues i found it still isn't getting spark to the plugs
then replaced crankshaft sensor and even tried swapping in the old distributor but to no avail.
the coil seems to be getting power to the end of the wire so i don't understand where the spark cut is or why
its also not getting fuel but that's because
Where did you get the distributor? If it was an ebay $65. special I would suspect that. I had an issue with my '91 5sfe where it would only spark on one revolution and it turned out to be one of those "THIS WILL FIT YOUR CAR" dizzy.
Bit the bullet and went to NAPA and ordered an OEM reman. Car started right up without problems.
There are checks/tests for your coil, dist, igniter. Maybe there is a loose primary some where??
Just some thoughts.
make sure the starter and battery are up to dat
if the computer sees it isn't getting spark then it doesn't run the fuel pump.

Thanks

i have replaced
-spark plugs
-crankshaft sensor

its also not getting fuel but that's because if the computer sees it isn't getting spark then it doesn't run the fuel pump.

Thanks
Make sure the starter and Battery are up to date. FUEL FILTER must be replaced as well. Hopefully this help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts