Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 95 Celica ST and my problem is when I apply breaks and come to a complete stop while in any gear other than Neutral my car shakes pretty aggressively. I can feel most of the vibrations within the steering wheel. I will be taking it to my mechanic soon but just wanted to check here first. I have a general idea what it might be. I can also answer additional questions if needed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could be several problems. How long has it been since you've had the brakes serviced?
Vibrations are caused by one or all the situations. Worn, out of balance rotors, worn brake shoes, sticking brake caliper(s) bad wheel bearing/hub. Your mechanic should give you an accurate diagnosis. My advice, opinion, if you take it in to have the complete brake system checked over. Last time I had all four wheels done with rotors and shoes and bleeding it was slightly over $400. but well worth the safety and assurance of stopping. Nothing worse than not being able to stop.
Take care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it shaking hard while you are stopping, or after you are stopped? I interpret what you said as indicating a very rough idle when stopped and in gear.

If this is the case, then your idle is too low. This could be due to any of a number of causes, but the majority of those come back to cracked/split/missing hoses resulting in vacuum leaks, pressure leaks, or leaks that cause various sensors to misread and have the computer do the wrong thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be several problems. How long has it been since you've had the brakes serviced?
Vibrations are caused by one or all the situations. Worn, out of balance rotors, worn brake shoes, sticking brake caliper(s) bad wheel bearing/hub. Your mechanic should give you an accurate diagnosis. My advice, opinion, if you take it in to have the complete brake system checked over. Last time I had all four wheels done with rotors and shoes and bleeding it was slightly over $400. but well worth the safety and assurance of stopping. Nothing worse than not being able to stop.
Take care.
I don't know when the brakes where changed or replaced because I bought the car July of this year and they never disclosed to me when the brakes where changed. I will be changing the brakes regardless, I want a safety and the assurance of new brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it shaking hard while you are stopping, or after you are stopped? I interpret what you said as indicating a very rough idle when stopped and in gear.

If this is the case, then your idle is too low. This could be due to any of a number of causes, but the majority of those come back to cracked/split/missing hoses resulting in vacuum leaks, pressure leaks, or leaks that cause various sensors to misread and have the computer do the wrong thing.
No rough idle when stopped. Only when stopped at a light or stop sign you can feel it. Just a very pretty apparent shake that you can feel in steering wheel. Also no check engine lights are on and the car drives normally. I have a feeling that my rotors need to checked and replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts