Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the freeway going 65mph the car is 1.8 engine and all of a sudden I dropped to 40mph while accelerating and the car has never idled normally since. When I start it the car sounds fine but when I let it warm up to idling temperature roughly on 1100 rpms it sputters below 1100 rpms almost reaching 0 and then jumps back up. When I try to drive it first gear is so rough I have to get the car to at least 4-5000rpms before the rough drive smooths out a bit but it does the same with 2nd and 3rd gear runs smooth when going over 50mph but takes a shit ton of time to get there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like misfire and it's only running on 2 or 3 cylinders. The idle control system will try to compensate to keep the engine running and is why it is probably running at 1100. Make sure each cylinder is running and then make sure there are no vacuum leaks and fuel pressure is within range. Misfire can range from ignition issues, running lean, exhaust system clogged and high backpressure, internal engine damage (low compression), Pull each plug wire to see if the RPM changes and try to isolate which cylinders are still working or not working. The one that doesn't cause a change in RPM is the problem cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving on the freeway going 65mph the car is 1.8 engine and all of a sudden I dropped to 40mph while accelerating and the car has never idled normally since. When I start it the car sounds fine but when I let it warm up to idling temperature roughly on 1100 rpms it sputters below 1100 rpms almost reaching 0 and then jumps back up. When I try to drive it first gear is so rough I have to get the car to at least 4-5000rpms before the rough drive smooths out a bit but it does the same with 2nd and 3rd gear runs smooth when going over 50mph but takes a shit ton of time to get there. Any ideas?

If spark plugs and wires are in good condition. Look at changing out the distributor. Mine did the same thing distributor shaft worn and O rings leaking. Replaced distributor and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your rubber intake hose that comes form the air cleaner, for splits in the accordion, bendable section. If the idle gets better when stopping the leaks, problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts