Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m about to buy an automatic 93 celica gt for about 3k. After I get it I was yes to swap the engine and transmission for an ae92 4a-gze supercharged engine. I know doing an auto to manual swap is not easy or cheap but I’m willing to do it. The question I have is do I need all the parts for the manual conversion to come from a car that comes with the 4agze or do the parts have to come from a manual celica. The engine and transmission I found comes with the ecu from the ae92 as well. I’m pretty new to auto mechanics so any and all insight and advice would be good thank you

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well. . .you'll have to become a pro mechanic;
  • need a wire harness. You'll likely need to hack the main trunk to adapt to length requirement and hook to dash harness
  • custom engine mounts.
  • you'll need a shifter and cables from old Celica. You'll need to compare endlinks and connector bar support to that of the new tranny. If they don't work, then you will need a custom cable builder to do a merger..
  • need clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders and piping from old Celica. A custom pipe will have to be made to connect from slave cylinder to tranny.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
It's your car, do what you want. That being said my question is WHY? If you're a newbe to auto mechanics you should at least have the resources and tools you'll need. That project is going to nickel and dime you to death and what you will have is a Frankenstein of hodge podge parts. I can see in a few months a project that is ambitious but will sit half finished.
Take it from an old geezer, back in the day we've done projects sorta like that, less complicated but you always had to have a tool box in the trunk and could never go too many miles from home. Nice for "cruzin' but you're always waiting for something to break down. Ya gotta know when you're in over your head. Even I take my Celica to a qualified mechanic on the back of a "recovery" truck to swap transmissions etc. and that ain't cheap.
Whatever you decide good luck and start a string so we can follow your progress.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I have a 93 gt 2.2 MT that I'm going to be getting rid of soon for rust reasons. 260k on the odo but all of the parts you'll need for the swap is there. I live in Delta pa if it interests you just pm me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts