Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 1991 celica gt and i wanted to convert the rear drums to disc is there someone who makes a rear disc brake conversion kit if so where could i get it if not if heard that the gt-s came with rear disc brakes and i could take everything from the knuckle forward and those will bolt right up is that true? any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
yea you can take the entire hub from the gts and transfer it over. you also need the ebrake cable too. all the brake lines are the same and will fit to your existing ones.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Let me know what one of this hubs will run you, ive been debating this as well but was worried about the cost!

·
Super Moderator
866 Posts
Is there any actual benefit from doing this other than the look?

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
371 Posts
Rotors technically perform better due to heat dissipation and stopping power but in the long run from what I understand drums need less maintence due to being an internal system that takes less wear, it's basically a toss up between what your looking for.

·
Super Moderator
2,816 Posts
Rotors technically perform better due to heat dissipation and stopping power but in the long run from what I understand drums need less maintence due to being an internal system that takes less wear, it's basically a toss up between what your looking for.
When you start adding more power to your wheels, disk brakes outperform drums. You wouldn't think so, but I've driven a car before and after disk brake conversion (It was a Cavalier) and it was a huge difference in stopping power.

Something to compare it to. Think about when your brake pads are worn to nothing and you replace your pads, you stop so much easier and you travel less. It's like that.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
i think they cost around $160. thats from the pick n pull so could be different depending where you go.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My bad if I was confusing fox XD when typed rotors I meant disk brakes just a shorter version or what I'm used to anyhow lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
SWEET i was hoping that there was a way to fit some rear drums into discs i like the drums but i do plan on making this car go a helluva lot faster and i will need to stop faster when i see the red and blue, will the rear discs from say a 92 fit on a 91 gt lift

1 - 11 of 11 Posts