Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tracing and replacing, repairing, fixing, cleaning all engine systems a no-start issue comes down to what is left...a faulty ECU. Purchased the car last July (2020) and ran for about 50 miles before stalling problems began.
Online searches and help from this forum led me through many problems that were solved but did not fix the issue. Only thing left was to replace what I thought was the original ECU. Turns out after surgery that the installed ECU was a boneyard brain that must have been installed by the PO. Original thought was to rebuild the brain but after opening it up the best course is to purchase a new unused unit. No more used parts. Too much work getting at that thing. Have to remove EVERYTHING from the center console.
I have over 50 pics if anyone needs to remove the console or other elements therein. Door control, speed control, airbag control, etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good luck

Here are could of urls on history and approach. Hang onto your old one as you may want to prepare a backup for when the new "used" one goes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, those are great links! I'm quite familiar with the procedure of solder. back in the 50's I built a radio transmitter, in the service I was electronic savvy but that was many years ago and tech passed me by. I did see a capacitor kit on ebay for $14 and change and thought about it but after opening the box up it's a bit overwhelming. I would have gone that route if it wasn't so difficult to change the box out.
The "new" (rebuilt) box comes with a lifetime warranty. They might want the core but I doubt it since it's already a used one.
1991 Toyota Celica 2.0L ECM PCM ECU Engine Computer Programmed & Flashed (allcomputerresources.com)
If not it will go undisturbed on the shelf along with other parts. I never throw those things out....ya never know.
I just don't like the placement of that thing, almost as difficult as getting to the timing belt...almost.
Been reading some of your earlier posts and was curious about the limp home a few years back. Was it a clogged exhaust? Cat?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rebuilt ecu was delivered today 12deg F outside so I have it sitting on the bench warming to room temp.
Along with the ecu they sent an OBD II gadget that I have no idea what it is. It has a plug outlet that would fit an OBD reader that I have. Is this some type of bluetooth thing that I could use to read codes??
HELP please
0120211325a.jpg
0120211327.jpg
0120211327b.jpg
0120211327b.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts