Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an initial list of things I need to do to my new to me 90 Celica. Any tips or guidance is welcome. Overall it's in pretty good shape, but I'd like to fix some cosmetics and upgrade some systems.

AC Leak Fix or AC Conversion to 134a (I was able to add to it to complete a cross country trip, but it's leaking slowly)
Basic tune-up (I usually get parts at Rockauto)
Brake work/conversion of rear brakes to disc
Body work (both front quarter panels have damage) is it easier to replace or fix damage? I will upload pics of each quarter panel later.
Driver's seat has rip in cloth cover in the usual place
Replace original cassette deck with something that connects to my phone
Clean! This car spent it's last 15 years at a house on a dirt road in Montana, lol. It's filthy!

Thanks in advance! So happy to have this car and have found a Celica forum!

Btw, here's a pic of the car in Montana.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome aboard

"AC Leak Fix or AC Conversion to 134a (I was able to add to it to complete a cross country trip, but it's leaking slowly)"

Planning on doing it yourself? You'll need $1000 of tools to do it correctly. (Guages, leak detecror, vacuum pump, flush system)

"Basic tune-up (I usually get parts at Rockauto)"

Also do fluids

"Brake work/conversion of rear brakes to disc"

I'm still on drums on my 91 GT. Plenty of posts out there describing how to convert.

"Body work (both front quarter panels have damage) is it easier to replace or fix damage? I will upload pics of each quarter panel later."

I've had mine since new. Lots of bumps from the 12 years in the northeast snow. Probably on my 4th set of fenders. I need to do then again (teaching 3 boys and a few nieces/nephews on how to drive a stick). Fenders are relatively easy to remove.

"Driver's seat has rip in cloth cover in the usual place"

Patch or new seat covers.

"Replace original cassette deck with something that connects to my phone"

On my 3rd or 4th head unit. Last one went on 2 years ago in order to get blue tooth. And a color adjustment to match the rest of the dash.

Have fun

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ditto. Depending on what you want for entertainment you can get a good replacement unit, (not high end) at wallyworld for around $50. with Bluetooth, mp3 and CD. Comes with a conversion so you can plug and play. I also have drums on the back without issues and easy to replace.
For parts go with OEM or reman. The online "this will fit your car" parts will fail you. This from my short time experience so far. Tune up parts I used a complete set of NGK plugs and wires and NAPA to get remans.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

This pic was taken when the ecu was replaced but can show how easily you can remove the faceplate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard

"AC Leak Fix or AC Conversion to 134a (I was able to add to it to complete a cross country trip, but it's leaking slowly)"

Planning on doing it yourself? You'll need $1000 of tools to do it correctly. (Guages, leak detecror, vacuum pump, flush system)

"Basic tune-up (I usually get parts at Rockauto)"

Also do fluids

"Brake work/conversion of rear brakes to disc"

I'm still on drums on my 91 GT. Plenty of posts out there describing how to convert.

"Body work (both front quarter panels have damage) is it easier to replace or fix damage? I will upload pics of each quarter panel later."

I've had mine since new. Lots of bumps from the 12 years in the northeast snow. Probably on my 4th set of fenders. I need to do then again (teaching 3 boys and a few nieces/nephews on how to drive a stick). Fenders are relatively easy to remove.

"Driver's seat has rip in cloth cover in the usual place"

Patch or new seat covers.

"Replace original cassette deck with something that connects to my phone"

On my 3rd or 4th head unit. Last one went on 2 years ago in order to get blue tooth. And a color adjustment to match the rest of the dash.

Have fun

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Actually for the AC I was looking through the service records and see that the AC was changed to 134 back in 2005. My dad doesn't remember as well as he used to. Soo for that I think I only need to find the leak and fix it! For the fenders I might fix what I've got rather than replace. All the replacements I see need body work too. Might as well do the body work on the original sheet metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts