Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum so not sure if there is a classified section or not, but does anyone have a good working set of power mirrors (or just one) for a 85 GTS?

Just purchased the car but the glass seems very loose and the they don't move when enabled.

Haven't torn them apart just yet but I suspect the glass came loose from the motor housing.

Any thoughts on that much appreciated too.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Not a very hard issue. Not familiar with the '85 but you should be able to remove the whole unit with a few screws, usually accessible from inside the door or on the door frame. They should have a plug connector so you can bench the unit. If the glass is just loose on the mount it can be easily re-glued, a good construction adhesive would work. While the unit is on your table/bench you can test the motor using any 12volt power source. I'm sure there are wirering diagrams on the net with color coded wires to tell you power source, up/down/right/left etc. if the motor runs and moves more than likely your switch is dirty or corroded but normally can be cleaned.
My '91 mirror power rocker switch was just dirty and easily cleaned. Sprayed some WD40 behind the mirror to lube the moving parts and it was good to go.
An evening of puttering should get you back to good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Friscomail, I'm new to the forum as well just joined today. I might be late in providing assistance, you might have fixed already, if so maybe you can help me.
I have an 85 Celica GTS coupe that I have owned for over 30yrs, good shape no winters no rust but the drivers side mirror won't adjust. I can hear the motors running (there are 2) inside the unit, but the glass doesn't adjust. You can pop the glass out by gently applying a little pressure behind it. Inside you will see 2 drive units, one is for vertical adj the other horizontal adj. Inside these units you will find the small motors and a set of gears. When you open the units up be sure to have the rounded side facing upwards as you release the 3 clips holding it together, otherwise the electrical contact for the motor will drop out. They can be put back in no problem just easier not to drop in the first place. You can spin the motor with you thumb. On my unit the small (1 inch long 1/4 diameter threaded rod) piece that comes in contact with the glass doesn't move when the motor spins. It seems this threaded rod is worn. I am having difficulty locating a replacement for the threaded rod. The size is M8-1.0 meaning it's a metric thread with a 1mm angle thread, the standard seems to be 1.25mm angle. I can find it in metal but want to use nylon like the original so as not to destroy the nylon sprocket that drives it. Let me know if you want a picture of the inside. I'm at the point where I have contacted a 3d printer in my area to see what the cost would be to have a set of 4 done ( might as well replace the other 3 units while I'm at it.)
Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also I forgot to mention do not glue the glass as mentioned above-you will not be able to adjust them at all. Its a ball and socket fitting inside, if the glass is loose and flopping around the socket may be broken.
mac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts