Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#0000FF'>i recently aquired 2 toyota celicas, an 85 gts 2d liftback manual 5 speed with the 22-rec and an 84 gt 2d liftback manual 5 speed with the 22-rec. where i live in order to graduate from H.S. we have to do senior projects and i choose to rebuild the engine from the 84 and place it into the 85.

What i am wanting to do is add about 50 to 60hp when i am through or a little more but am unable to find anything i can do performance wise with the engine (other then shaving a couple thousandths off the head and a new exhaust header).

One site i have found is www.importperformanceparts.com  they have a link to performance parts for celicas and i was able to find a rebuild kit from a company called topline, problem is whether or not it is truly a "performance" kit.

If any one knows anything on performance upgrades for the 84 22-rec any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I have about a $600.00 spending budget and the kit from topline with timing kit and oil pump is $280.

**Planed upgrades: K&N modify air filter, new exhaust header, new exhaust piping and new muffler, shaving the head</font>

G

·
<font color='#000000'>I have an 85 2 dr, Let me know what you come up with. Be very careful with that timing cover. where the oil pump sits, that can crack easily and you'll start pissing out oil faster than you can replace it!
What I've heard about those motors is that they're rather pricey to rebuild. As near as I 've been able to find out, that motor is only in the Celica, the Pickup and the Fourunner.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yeah that deffiently aint a performance kit.. that is way to cheap to be a performance kit.. i like ur idea for doing this for a project, but i think 400 is gonna be way to little to build up the engine, considering the fact that the machine work alone on the bottom end is gonna run u 2-300.. i would save up some more before starting and do it right, u dont want to do it just to have to redo it again in a couple months cause u built another stock engine... just do all engine..
high compression pistons, good cams, rods, ect..
but i think ur gonna need more like 2000 to do this</font>

G

·
<font color='#000000'>I will cut & paste my reply from another thread, (too lazy to type it out again). Hope it helps.

I will add that I plan to get another 50hp out of my engine with the following: reconditioned heap w/ +1mm OS valves, ported and polished, a stage 2 cam, bugger injectors and a Supra AFM. I already have a K&N drop in replacement filter with a cold air intake, and a 2" exhaust. Headers maybee later.

----------------------------------------------------------
There are heaps of people modding xA6x celicas - especially in the US. Go to www.celicas.org and sign up to the email list - it's the best source of rwd celica info there is, period.
Someone there should be able to tell you the best place to get a thorley; lot's of them have them. In the meanwhile, go here for the recommended parts list,http://www.speedtoys.com/~painkiller/framesetocc.html
Also try www.celica-gts.com - very good site. Steve has an '83 GTS and has heaps of mod guides, lots of tech info and forums etc too for these cars

You can do a lot to mod your car, I really recommend signing up to the OCC list. There is a turbo 22RE (22rTe) found in some trucks in the US, but there are issues with the manifolds etc fouling the steering rack. (It does drop easilly into the previous gen celica though, I believe.)
Turboing a 22RE can be done if you have the $$$ - Gary on the list has a 300HP turboed 22RE autocross beast.

Hope this helps
Stefan
-------------------------------------------------------</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts