Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I own a 7th gen toyota celica 140 BHP VVT-I, In the last 4 weeks i have replaced the water pump, alternator, auxiliary belt, battery and then 2 weeks ago I had a intrim service and MOT test which i also replaced the front coil springs, calipers, brake pads, rear disks and handbrake shoes!
then 3 days after the car randomly over heated on a very short journey. The car has been in the garage ever since and i have had 5 mechanic's (3 from the garage the cars in & 2 from the garage down the roas that came up) and there first thought was thermostat which i replaced as the previous one was seized closed but the problem persists... they have checked the hoses, the radiator, the new water pump and everything is in working order but the coolant isnt circulating around the engine?... they also suggetsed head gasket but the oil is clean as a whistle and there is no thick smoke coming from the exhaust?
I have read countless forum posts about the same problem but none of them give an answer? Here are the answers i have gathered from forums: thermostat - changed... radiator - not changed but tested and is working correctly(no leaks in corners)... hoses connected to the radiator - no leaks and water passes through... water pump - water pump is new and works... head gasket - possiblity as cannot find the correct fitting to pressure test the engine but no tell tale signs... air locks - the car has been bled twice but i have hears its a real pain to blead the 1zz-fe engine so that is also still a possibility!

Sorry for the long winded explanation but me and my father are stuck where to go from here as the car has a fresh mot and had around £800 spent on it within the 6 months i have driven the car and do not want to just scrap or sell for spares if there is something we are missing! Hope you guys cqn help :) thanks in advanace!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure that the bleeding procedure is being done properly. The coolant tank needs to be propped up on the hood latch so that it sits above the engine. Then you must alternate between holding the revs at 3000rpm for 30 seconds and letting it idle for 30 seconds. Repeat this for 15 to 30 minutes, then test drive to check for overheating. These engines are notriously diffcult to bleed, my 2ZZ engine took me nearly 3 days to fully bleed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, i will be collecting my car tomorrow and placing it in my garage at home. Me and my father will give this ago straight away and i will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed 🤞!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good luck friend, just make sure to not let it overheat during the bleeding procedure, the aluminum block can only take so much heat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2002 GTS and became an expert after bleeding my car so many times.

Random overheating is caused by a blob of air in the cooling system. When that blob of hot air goes past the temp sensor, it will trigger the overheat light. Otherwise your engine is not actually overheat and is safe.

There is a coolant bleeding procedure posted in a label under the hood. Pretty simple and easy. Just follow it step by step. I also posted more details in other Celica forums.

Basically after draining coolant, you need to raise the white reservoir above the engine block to add 3.7L of coolant into it. Turn OFF cabin heater. Alternatetly idle and rev the engine to 3000 RPM in 1 minute to heat the engine up. Have someone stand by to add another 1 Q of coolant into reservoir. Dont let it run dry so no more air will be sucked into the engine block. if it sucks in more air it will be more work to bleed. When engine gets hot, it will turn on the cooling fan and open the thermostat to add coolant from reservoir into engine block.

Put the reservoir back to its place, rehook the 2 black rubber hose. Continue to idle/rev engine until air bubbles
get pumped out of the radiator into the reservoir. When the engine gets hot and turns on the cooling fan again, let the eingine idle 15, 20 more minutes to get more air out. After that the job is pretty much done,but you would still have some air bubbles in the system. Drive and monitor the coolant reservoir in the next couple days. Open the cap to add coolant if low. When the cap is open you should have air puffing out of the reservoir for a while. The cooling system is still safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you @actionseeker & @PETER PAN 2009 for your help, we did as you have both suggested & i think we have found the problem! We have now got the coolant going around the engine as this was not happening before so there was definitely an air lock somewhere between the reservoir, water pump and engine. But now we have found theres a leek in bottom right side of the radiator so that will be replaced next weekend! Fingers crossed the celica's problems are fixed 😁😅!

Thanks again for your help :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
BlueCelica

If you had the heater on while bleeding air, there may be a block of air in the heater system. It wont have hot air to give you when you want it.

Run the car with heater on for a while to fill it with coolant and flush air out. Then open the reservoir cap occasionally to let air out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts