Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I can't seem to find anything online about my exact issue so I'm trying here.

Background info: 2lr 6th gen Cabrio 1996.

When I start up cold, it likes to sit around 2000rpm, it really struggles to warm up until I'm sitting in traffic 15 minutes after I start. When hot it sits somewhere below 1000, somewhere around 750 and hunts like it's trying not to stall.
If I go straight to highway driving it never warms up. (Temp gauge still below bottom)

When driving while cold and lifting off the gas pedal it judders like it's about to stall, even at like 70mph and 3000rpm.

My guess is it's running rich because the engine thinks it needs to "choke" itself but I have no idea if I'm even correct, or where to start if I am right.

All help and suggestions is welcomed, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At temp, idle for our cars is 750RPMs. However, it sounds like you might be starved of air OR fuel OR spark. Easiest to not-so-easiest:

1.) Check your sparks, wires, distributor / coil packs.
2.) Check your throttle body. I'd suggest testing your throttle position module (rear side of the TB). If that is failing or has failed, it won't tell the butterfly valve to open and you'd be starved of air.
3.) Check your injectors.

If you think it's running rich, are you smelling excess fuel? You should also be seeing slightly more smoke in the exhaust as all the excess fuels is attempted to burn. You can check your O2 sensor readings to see if you're getting excessively high voltages. Also, running rich would cause your idle to be high, as a base.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would check your EGR - exhaust gas recirculation valve for carbon buildup. Clean the throttle body and passages.
Steering part Wood Bicycle part Steering wheel Auto part
Bicycle part Gas Nickel Machine Auto part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestions, I'll look into all of these.
Yes, there is quite a bit of visible gases coming from the exhaust and it does smell of fuel.

Am I right in saying that running rich would cause similar effects as air starvation? As it's basically doing the same to the air/fuel mix ratio?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Smoke test the vacuum lines for leaks, make sure all your egr lines and valves are clean, take off all or your evap valves and make sure they are working and clean, like it was said earlier replace spark plugs, ignition wires and make sure you throttle body, mass air flow sensor, and map sensors are clean. If you have access to a nice scan tool you can compare all your sensors reading to factory specs, best of luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts