Toyota Celica Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also to add on to the discussion of the silvertop. I've looked around and found out they only have around 150hp stock but VTEC says they have bout 200hp. I'm kinda confused now.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You will want the half cut in any engine replacement, unless you are replacing it with a better version of your engine (which does not exist). The silvertop produces about 150hp, while the blacktop with quad throttle bodies produces 165hp.

If you want my sincere, and honest opinion. If you want a faster 5th gen, then just save your money for an alltrac. It just isn't logical to try and upgrade the ST with anything else than stuff that will save gas. deal with what you have now, and you'll thank me later.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Its a shame there never was a JDM 5SGE with more power on tap and able to be dropped right in.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Its also a shame they ever made the 4AFE and 5SFE for use in the Celica...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Doesn't exactly look clean, or new, but it might get the job done. and once again, i stress, that you aren't going to get 185hp with pump gas, you will probably have to buy alot of octane booster!

·
Registered
285 Posts
3SGTEs regularly make more reliable high horsepower than the SR20DET?[/B]
Which SR20.. are you talkin about?S13-14 205HP, S15 250Hp. But there's also the 3rd gen. 3s. with 250hp. So i wonder which is more effective with mods. 3Sgte 3rd gen. or S15? good question.

As for the gas octane, i always put 93 for my jdm 3s. i put the low octane in one time and it ran a tiny bit rough, but thats can be expected with the low octane = more engine knock.

Great post, but it seemed like it steered more to the 4agze then the 3sgte. But great stuff anyway. Once again lets keep this thread on top.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by Kool_Aider@Oct 11 2006, 10:10 AM
Well i have a domestic 3sgte.. i should be good with 91 octane fuel then shouldnt I?
Yeah, the ECU is mapped for the USDM fuel.

As far as the SR20 question, it really doesnt matter. All SRs have the same rocker arm head design that tend to get the vales stuck open at high rpm.

And for the ebay link. Your not getting a wiring harness which is my main concern, or any driveshafts, or fuel pump... i would just much rather have EVERYTHING than just a longblock and a tranny in case i find out i need something else for the JDM engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3SGTE is a pretty sweet engine no doubt, in fact, someday I hope to get a GT4, but your not giving the 5SFE the credit it deserves. It is also a well engineered intermediate engine. It wasn't designed for racing, but has decent power and great reliability. And yes, there are mods you can do to a 5SFE to gain power. However, these mods are few and far between. Obviously the cold air intake and cat back exhaust are possibilities, just like any car. If you want a header, you will need to modify the down pipe, and other than that, there aren't alot of cost effective ways to upgrade a 5SFE. If you really want power though, there is a turbo kit for the 5SFE, and you could modify a intercooler to fit. I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing a turbocharged and intercooled 5SFE would give a GT4 a run for it's money as far as power goes. Afterall, the biggest difference between the two engines is that ones turbocharged and the other is naturally aspirated. I still wouldn't race a GT4 with a "Turbocharged 5SFE" on a road course without major upgrades, to the suspension though. The GT4 isn't a drag car, it's a rally car, without the 4 wheel drive and suspension it has, it wouldn't be able to kick a** like it does. So I say do what you want, you don't need us to tell you what to do with your money, but in reality, it might be just as cost effective to turbocharge, intercool, put on a full exhaust with custom headers, and get a port and polish job done to a 5SFE, than to swap out for a good 3SGTE engine. That would be quite a project though.
I put the 3sgte 5th gen in my 94 Toyota celica

41 - 55 of 55 Posts