Toyota Celica Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by Big Red@Oct 6 2006, 04:55 PM
I have a Celica ST and saw your warning about major modifications on dropping the 3SGTE engine in. Then I saw that you said the best thing to do is to put the 4AGZE engine in instead. The supercharged 4AGZE engine has 145 hp and I was hoping to get more HP increase over the 4AFE at 103 HP.

Do you have any other recommendations that would take me closer to 200HP?

Thanks,
Big Red
NOS and a spare engine in the garage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Power?????? You guys are all totally forgetting about just swapping a SUPRA engine in! Fits like a glove!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Originally posted by Big Red@Oct 7 2006, 12:55 AM
I have a Celica ST and saw your warning about major modifications on dropping the 3SGTE engine in. Then I saw that you said the best thing to do is to put the 4AGZE engine in instead. The supercharged 4AGZE engine has 145 hp and I was hoping to get more HP increase over the 4AFE at 103 HP.

Do you have any other recommendations that would take me closer to 200HP?

Thanks,
Big Red
Different versions of the 4AGZE come with different hp. You have to run higher octane though, to get those numbers. The pulley on the supercharger, is easily replaced to make more boost = more horsepower. There are a variety of other things available for the 4AGZE, look up the supercharged mr2 engine in nopi (or whatever parts dealer you want to use) and look at the available upgrades.

As for the direction that this thread has gone, I'm sure that if it gets PINNED (moderators, ::cough cough:
then the majority of the stupid posts will be deleted.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Did you know?:

3SGTEs regularly make more reliable high horsepower than the SR20DET?

its all in the head design guys.

As far as the 4AGZE question. Different size pullies will help with boost, and you could always drop the supercharger for a turbo.

Heres my 2 cents on the ST.

The 4AGE series is the way to go. My personal problem is with the GZE being the solution to the Celica ST's horsepower needs. The GZE was in the AW11 MR2 which weighed close to nothing, so 145 HP was more than enough to make it a ####### rocketship. On a much bigger Celica chassis, i would go with the badassery of a 4AGE 20V. Look, thing already makes 200 hp out of the box, theres tons of support, and if you want to be cool with the honda guys its got VVT.

And dont forget about 5 containers of octane booster and advancing your timing 15 degrees!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Beat you to it VTEC, haha. I like the silvertop 20v 4AGE, but it is designed to be an N/A monster, so if you ever want to boost it, you would have been better off with the 4AGZE head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Correct me if i'm mistakin Toxin, but when I looked up the supercharged 4AGZE engines they are a 1.6 Liter. Since I want to get a new engine, I was hoping to increase the size of the engine to a 2.0 L or up. Do you have any other suggestions to what I can do?

Thanks again,

Big Red

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not in the ST. The 1.6L is your only option. But don't let the displacement fool you, the 4AGE 20v Silvertop, and 4AGZE engines have great potential. If you don't think it is worth the time, you can always save up for an Alltrac.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So does the 4AGE 20V Silvertop have better acceleration than the 4AGZE supercharged since the Silvertop is pushing 200hp and the 4AGZE around 145hp?

Also, which one do u guys think can be quicker and faster after mods in the long run?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The best way to do any engine swap is buying the whole front clip of a car with that engine, that way you know you have all the required connections, wires, tubes, etc for the swap. Personally, I prefer Jarco (http://www.jarcoinc.com/), they seem to have the best selection, and great service around. They are pretty prompt with their emails too. They call a "front clip" a "1/2 cut." Doesn't hurt to ask them a few questions before you buy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Originally posted by WickWackDJ15@Oct 7 2006, 10:42 PM
awesome thread, bout time someone made it
Thanks, I hope to consolidate all of the FAQs about 5th gens to this thread, to make it easier for the new guys to find out answers quickly, and to make it easier for us, not have to type the same answers repeatedly. Because the
seems to be hard to find on these forums :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Personally, i would go with the 20V in an ST. Yeah the GZE has a supercharger, but its also almost 20 years old and not as many parts are redially available for it.

On top of that remember:

ALL ENGINES FROM JAPAN ARE TUNED FOR HIGER OCTANE JAPANESE GAS

Which means that if you do end up getting a boosted JDM motor (super or turbo charged) it wont run as good as it was meant to on ###### low octane american gas (no, not even 91 is decent).

SO, in my opinion if you want LONG term reliability, 200 hp out of the box and not have to worry about detonation, i would go with the 20V.

Plus, the blacktops come with a 6spd tranny....yummy. (DOES NOT MAKE YOU FASTER THOUGH)

·
0 Posts
alright i have a 1993 celica st my engine is in bsd shape and needs to be replaced i bought it for a gas saver but the little 4afe is kind of weak can anyone tell me or provide a link to a site that has a list of engines will bolt up to the tranny and chassis

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Originally posted by 1993stcelica@Oct 8 2006, 09:38 AM
alright i have a 1993 celica st my engine is in bsd shape and needs to be replaced i bought it for a gas saver but the little 4afe is kind of weak can anyone tell me or provide a link to a site that has a list of engines will bolt up to the tranny and chassis
Did you read the rest of this thread?

Mods, please delete all of the posts in this thread that are of no use.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I've always thought it would be cool to make a comprehensive FAQ available on the web covering all the major/common/n00b queries. I dont mind people asking the questions, I asked some dumb questions when I first logged on here, but if they have some backround information on the basics the questions they ask might be more specific and researched.

"USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!"

21 - 40 of 55 Posts