Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to start this thread because there are too many newbies (no offense guys) asking the same questions over, and over again.

Here is a standard list of the newbie questions you may have.

"Hey guys, I want to get the most horsepower out of my celica, for the best cost, what do I do?"

"Hey guys, I just got a used 199x GT, and I was looking for some effective upgrades to get good power gains."

"Hi, I am new to the forums, and I was wondering what the best way to get power out of my Toyota Celica GT is."

Here come's the important part:

THE ANSWER TO ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS IS ONE SIMPLE ENGINE CODE.

3SGTE

Now I know what you are thinking:

"What does that supposed to mean?"

Well, the most effective way to make power out of your celica is to swap the engine. That's right, you read correctly. The engine given to us by Toyota is not an effective engine for making good Hp/Tq numbers. I'm sorry, I know this is terrible news, but it's the most efficient way to get decent numbers out of your car. The 3SGTE engine was designed to be amazing, afterall, it was designed for rally racing.

WARNING
This does not apply to the ST, or STX models. These cars have a less poweful 4AFE engine, and the 3SGTE does not drop right into the engine bay. SERIOUS modifications are required, and huge money is involved. The best way for the 4AFE guys out there to make power is to swap the engine with a 4AGZE engine. This engine is the engine from the Supercharged MR2s (among other vehicles).

SPARKNOTES
If you have a 5th Gen Celica, with a 5S or 3S engine in it, your best way to make effective power is to get the 3S-GTE engine!

p.s. If anyone would like to add to this article, please do.
p.p.s. MODS, it would be in the best interest of the forum to STICKY THIS TOPIC

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
#### I keep buying neon lights and still cant beat my friend and his civic, I even put them on the suspension so i can make turns better. your saying all of that is pointless?

·
Registered
948 Posts
its all about the stickers ppl gosh! the more stickers u have the more hp and tq you have duh.

·
Registered
120 Posts
if i had money to swap an engine, i would just buy a faster car to start with...like a turbo mr2 :-D

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Heres the difference.
swap about 2k IF you bought a clip
mr2 turbo in decient shape. about 5k and up
so if you have the money to buy a clip you dont nessasarily have the money for a mr2 turbo. There was a 93 local to me. it was a NA automatic really wasnt even in that good shape it was at a dealership and they wanted 8k for it. there was another one local it was NA 5 speed paint was shot, didnt have any power options about 160k miles and they wanted $3800
I Like your idea but its not always that easy.
as far as finding a RC good luck. lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yeah, I didn't want to metion the NOS stickers and the 5whp/tq each, I'm just trying to help the new guys out. Those things require some SERIOUS modifications to prevent blowing your engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Kool_Aider@Oct 5 2006, 05:53 PM
Isnt the rule 5 whp+ft/lbs torque per sticker?
I think your thinking of racing stripes dude? Racing stripes add 15hp for each one and don't forget the subs. Subs make a lot of HP as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
DOnt forget the 3ft spoiler and the homemade decals, thats 50hp right there.

Yea, but the 3s is the only way to go if you want power. Lets keep this post on top

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
F*ck going fast, who makes altezza taillights for my 199X GT?!?!?!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 3SGTE is a pretty sweet engine no doubt, in fact, someday I hope to get a GT4, but your not giving the 5SFE the credit it deserves. It is also a well engineered intermediate engine. It wasn't designed for racing, but has decent power and great reliability. And yes, there are mods you can do to a 5SFE to gain power. However, these mods are few and far between. Obviously the cold air intake and cat back exhaust are possibilities, just like any car. If you want a header, you will need to modify the down pipe, and other than that, there aren't alot of cost effective ways to upgrade a 5SFE. If you really want power though, there is a turbo kit for the 5SFE, and you could modify a intercooler to fit. I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing a turbocharged and intercooled 5SFE would give a GT4 a run for it's money as far as power goes. Afterall, the biggest difference between the two engines is that ones turbocharged and the other is naturally aspirated. I still wouldn't race a GT4 with a "Turbocharged 5SFE" on a road course without major upgrades, to the suspension though. The GT4 isn't a drag car, it's a rally car, without the 4 wheel drive and suspension it has, it wouldn't be able to kick a** like it does. So I say do what you want, you don't need us to tell you what to do with your money, but in reality, it might be just as cost effective to turbocharge, intercool, put on a full exhaust with custom headers, and get a port and polish job done to a 5SFE, than to swap out for a good 3SGTE engine. That would be quite a project though.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
erg.. ecept with all the problems that occur when you do turbocharge a 5sfe.. better the hassle and relabilty problems and swap in a 3sgte.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Celica ST and saw your warning about major modifications on dropping the 3SGTE engine in. Then I saw that you said the best thing to do is to put the 4AGZE engine in instead. The supercharged 4AGZE engine has 145 hp and I was hoping to get more HP increase over the 4AFE at 103 HP.

Do you have any other recommendations that would take me closer to 200HP?

Thanks,
Big Red

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
5sfe is indeed a nice little setup toyota had. but fact of the matter is it was never desinged with performance in mind. So all these little mods (CAI, Cat back exhaust, Headers ect.... ) Really dont do nothing. they nickel and dime you! if you buy all good parts your bill for just these three things can be 600+ dollars and for what? 10-15hp your still going to be under 150hp then lets say you go that extra mile and buy new pistons, rings, rods, turbo, ect.... thats going to cost you well more then a swap and your still going to be faced with the fact that your engine just doesnt perform they way a 3sgte would...
were not dealing with hondas, if you have a honda no matter what engine you have you can find mods. It doesnt work like that with the 5sfe you either go really light things, or heavy expensive mods (pistons, cams ect...) but still the design of the head is going to hold you back...
If you really want to mod the 5sfe go for it have fun, but in the end you will pay much more then the cost of a swap just to suffer the fact that the swapped car would run circles around you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Flames are the only thing that make you go fast anymore.

For the amount that your looking at spending on turbocharging your 5S-FE, you could have a front clip 3S-GTE. With the swap your starting out with as much as you would gain on modifying a 5S.

If you really want to do some things to you 5S, take a header off a 1998 Corrola and get a custom 2.5 or 2.25 exaust made. Think of a way to get more air into your engine.

The 3S-GTE swap is much more cost effective for horsepower than any mod on a 5S.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts