Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I've got a 94 Toyota Celica GT.  I read that swaping for a 3sgte is better than just adding a turbo to my 5sfe.  Just curious as to what I'm getting myself into.  I found motor, but there is no tranny.  What kind of Transmission bolt to 3sgte?  I guess I'll have to get a different ECU?  How well do the mounts match up?  I think that's it. Thanks!</font>

G

·
<font color='#000000'>I too am wanting to swap my 5sfe for a 3S-GTE... All the 3S-GTE engines that I have found all come with a ALL wheel drive transmission..... I would rather have all wheel drive.... but I dont know all of what I will need to make the switch... can anyone offer some help?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>motor mounts are the same between the two, u will need the 3sgte ecu. you will also need the 3sgte ignitor box, mass air meter, harness. and of course all the sensors on the engine.
u can use the awd tranny but no awd, I never personally did it but i am told u cover up the rwd axle hole in the tranny and just use the fwd on them, awd would cost some money to put in a gt the whole rear is different including gas tank suspension ect..... you could also use a 5sfe tranny that will bolt in but i dont know the limits of the 5sfe tranny i never messed one up but i know of people that have. of course make sure u replace the clutch. try to get the closest engine you can to ur year car. if u buy a engine and harness get one off a 6th gen celica. (st205) to make it easier with wiring. you will need a new hood to acomidate the intercooler on the top of the engine. or get a scoop. or a fmic</font>

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>jhull
what do you mean "if u buy a engine and harness get one off a 6th gen celica"?  I don't think that they make a 3sgte for 6th gen.  
And, the intercooler mounts on top?
And also, "(st205) to make it easier with wiring", what is st205?

Thank you for all the info!</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>st205 is a 6th gen celica alltrac.
alltrac was made in 6th gen but never sold in the states in order to get one u have to get a jspec. because it has to come from overseas stock intercooler mounts on top of the engine thats why the alltrac has a hood scoop the 6th gen alltrac scoop is nice u gotta see one.</font>

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font color='#000000'>How would I go about getting this hood with scoop from over sees?  Is there a web site?

And also, as I wrote earlier, what is it exactly that makes the 5sfe not work as good with a turbo.  Can I rebuild the 5sfe, put forged pistons and high strength steel rods in, and then it would be able to handle all the boost that a 3sgte motor would?  
I know I already talked to you about this on another thread, but is there anyway to beef-up the 5sfe head, (and were to find), if I were to do all of this so that I wouldn't have to find a 3sgte head and change the ecu and wiring harness, if I were to stick with the 5sfe.  I'm just tring to think of other possibilites.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>forged pistons and good rods yeah that would help...
you still have a ignition map that advances to much for boost, so a piggy back system is needed, and the injectors are to small so u need larger injectors, and something to control that the right piggy back can do it all. of course new clutch intercooler ect... is needed. and the pistons have to be a lower compression then the stock ones. maybe 8.5:1 I ordered these before they take about 1-2 months to custom make.</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts