Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to completely rebuild my 5sfe as it has 270xxx km on it and started to make a noise that sounds like a stuck valve spring. I'm hoping to turbocharge it and I want to make a modest 200 - 240 whp. I want to know if I should get new OEM parts and if they would handle forced induction or if I should go for aftermarket parts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You'll need an ecu, wire harnesses, etc, etc, etc. Suggest a full 3gte used with a harness and ecu

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you could, when you start the swap will you post pictures? Would like to follow this string. My 91 had a swap 13 years ago, just a 3s short with the 5s fixins. No other bells or whistles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As in swap a 3sgte in it or just borrow the harness and ecu
Get a 3SGT used as rebuild it. Be sure to get it with the the turbo, intercooler, manifolds, the corresponding sensors and controllers (fuel cut timer, boost, etc). The extra sensors/controllers require a different harness and ecu.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm looking to completely rebuild my 5sfe as it has 270xxx km on it and started to make a noise that sounds like a stuck valve spring. I'm hoping to turbocharge it and I want to make a modest 200 - 240 whp. I want to know if I should get new OEM parts and if they would handle forced induction or if I should go for aftermarket parts.
Thanks.
I considered turbocharging mine. My mechanic warned me that I would lose my AC because you’ll need space for the oil cooler and piping. In addition, he said that I would need deep pockets. Transmission problems and other issues usually follow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered turbocharging mine. My mechanic warned me that I would lose my AC because you’ll need space for the oil cooler and piping. In addition, he said that I would need deep pockets. Transmission problems and other issues usually follow.
I already have transmission issues (second gear sincros are dead) and my AC never worked in the first place so that wouldnt be an issue for me. I don't really have the time or knowledge to 3sgte swap and was hoping I could just replace stock internals then turbo on a later date running an aftermarket ecu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a 3SGT used as rebuild it. Be sure to get it with the the turbo, intercooler, manifolds, the corresponding sensors and controllers (fuel cut timer, boost, etc). The extra sensors/controllers require a different harness and ecu.
How easy would it be to swap a 3sgte. It's just going to be my daily so I want the most reliable option dont really care about power just want turbo noises while cruising around

·
Registered
104 Posts
I already have transmission issues (second gear sincros are dead) and my AC never worked in the first place so that wouldnt be an issue for me. I don't really have the time or knowledge to 3sgte swap and was hoping I could just replace stock internals then turbo on a later date running an aftermarket ecu.
This winter I'll be opening up my transmission to see about the shifting from 1st to 2nd, shudders but only if I speed up too fast. If I feather the gas no problem at all. I think I narrowed it down to the accumulator springs.
Trans is an A243L and that one only has one solenoid for the overdrive lock. None other. I'll start a string with pictures when I begin.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This winter I'll be opening up my transmission to see about the shifting from 1st to 2nd, shudders but only if I speed up too fast. If I feather the gas no problem at all. I think I narrowed it down to the accumulator springs.
Trans is an A243L and that one only has one solenoid for the overdrive lock. None other. I'll start a string with pictures when I begin.
Sea-J, please start a new discussion thread.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How easy would it be to swap a 3sgte. It's just going to be my daily so I want the most reliable option dont really care about power just want turbo noises while cruising around
I can typically pull an engine in 8-10 hours working solo.

• drain fluids
  • remove hood, braces, and radiator
  • pop the axles
  • disconnect ac and power steering
  • disconnect exhaust and manifold
  • remove water manifold (prone to getting in the way and breaking), and dizzy
  • remove vacuum hoses and devices (ie Map)
  • disconnect heater, fuel, clutch, accelerator, shift cables
  • disconnect secondary wire harnesses and route main harness from firewall
  • connect engine lift
  • disconnect/remove mounts
Lift

1 - 12 of 12 Posts